AA Upgrades JFK-LAX--fiction or remotely possible?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Art234, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have to go back to LAX for a one day meeting in about 10 days. I booked AA to complete the challenge. Even the preferred coach seats appear to suck on the 762, however. As a newly minted GOLD, with 3 upgrades left in the account, I am tempted to buy up 7 in the hopes a miracle might occur, but I think I might be wasting my money....thoughts?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak for LAX but I was upgraded on a JFK-SFO transcon in June. Fantastic service in business class. The upgrades don't expire right away so what I would do is buy 2 to get yourself up to the 5 required. If you get upgraded on your outbound trip, buy the other 5. If you don't, you already have what you need in your account to chance the upgrade on the way back. If neither of the upgrades clear, you just have some leftover in your account for use next year. :)

And although it's true there are no "fantastic" economy seats on the 762 like in the mini-cabin and rows 11-13 up front on the 763, enjoy the aircraft while they last. This time next year, there will be no such thing.

Seat6A likes this.
  3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Gold you're chance is almost 0%. This is a difficult route even for EXP's on a Full Y fare. If you get upgraded you could buy the upgrades during check-in at the airport. I think it's $5 more per sticker then buying them online.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew LAX - EWR; JFK - SFO ; SFO - LAX (Sunday & Thursday & Saturday) I was no higher than 5 on the upgrade list for all flights. On the Transcons I was 10+ on the list. (I am GOLD btw)

thus I wouldnt hold your breathe.

But I guess see how many J fares are up for sale; if its MOSTLY empty 3 days out maybe you'll be lucky.

5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also you can keep an eye out on the empty seats using seat alerts. But as others say this is a tough route even for ExPlt. As is the LAX - BOS ROUTE. As ExPlt I rarely get upgraded on either.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

NYBanker likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Save your money and only buy them if needed at the airport. As a gold it would probably require divine intervention for the upgrade.

Betty Boop, MX, edekba and 1 other person like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you flying at a peak time or off peak time?

While your chances are extremely slim, at off peak times, perhaps you have a remote shot. Will you be on a full fare ticket?

Betty Boop likes this.
  8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Mid-fare, Noon flight out, 9:30AM back. I am prepared to sit in the back of the bus...

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a gold you will still have access to the main cabin extra seats at present.

10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, what would you consider off peak times for this route?

Also opinion on PLAT clearing during off peak?

11. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a gold I have about a 75% upgrade success rate, but MSY isn't exactly a heavy traffic route to anywhere. My most packed flight was DFW to LAS. I was #2 on the list about one hour before the flight. Ten minutes before boarding and I was #15 of 17. Return was empty but I had a nice seat in main cabin extra, so I saved the stickers.

12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It should be a slower weak for business travel. The noon flight out I would consider to be off peak. Most business travelers would be on an earlier flight to get productive time in LA or be on a later flight to make it in time for a dinner meeting.

Transcons are tough as many business travelers get to expense J vs. Y.

I think you have a better shot on the way there vs. the way back. 9:30am from LAX is more of a peak time and is a comfortable connection to the first bank of European flights from JFK.

On the 762, although the upgrade would be nice, the cost of the stickers are expensive. You don't get that much more room (2-2-2 vs. 2-3-2). Think of the amount the stickers cost and think of the meal you could buy at the terminal and the drinks you can buy with that money. As an elite you have access to MCE which gives you some extra legroom.

13. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The 762 has no MCE seating. I will also turn platinum during this trip, thanks to the challenge.