AA upgrade policy

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jason, Dec 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm waiting on a flight to Miami with my wife and see something that made me curious. She's exec plat, I'm plat, we booked our flights through her account awhile back. I had thought we stuck together through the upgrade process, using her status, since we booked together. However she's 1 on the list and I'm 3. How would that happen? (There looks to be 4 seats available, so hopefully it's a moot point :) )

OceanBreezes and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    somebody at AA must have split your reservation.

3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you using segment upgrades?

4. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    That used to happen to us all the time when we were in the same situation. We got in the habit of always checking at the AC or with the gate agent. They would do something and get us back together. AA's system somehow gets confused when both people have status and it looks at the individual rather than the highest level. You also have to be careful to let them know which account to take the 500 mile upgrades out of as that also gets mixed up. The year we were in this situation, the Admirals Club membership was certainly worth it. We are both EXP now so problem solved :)

5. wlciii

wlciii Active Member

Status Points:
    Were you on 500 mile upgrades or VIPs? If 500 milers you should have been listed together but with systemwides you'll be listed separately at the airport based on her/your own status.

6. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're on the same PNR technically it shouldn't happen...at least my wife and I have always been next to each other on the upgrade list when we're on the same reservation.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to the AA upgrade process so could someone please advise:

I have an international booking with a domestic connection to/from ORD, the gateway city. At the moment I am wait listed (though this does not show on my res as it would with UA) for C. Should I check off the Upgrade Request boxes for the two domestic segments, or just leave them unchecked? Since the international upgrade must go through for those segments to be upgraded with the eVIP, if those don't clear in advance, I won't be eligible (or hold my priority) for the auto ExecPlat upgrade on the domestic segments.

Similarly, if I use an eVIP for a domestic transcon and am wait listed, should I check off the Upgrade Request boxes?

Finally, as noted there is no indication that I am on an upgrade wait list. Should there be? If not, is there anywhere online I can confirm this?

8. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends which segments you applied the eVIP to. If you only applied it to the international segment, then you should go ahead tick the boxes for the upgrade if you want those segments to have any chance of being upgraded. If you applied it for all 3 segments, then even if one of the domestic flights clear and the international doesn't, they'll still pull the eVIP.

It can never hurt to tick the boxes! ;) I don't believe eVIPs show up in the upgrade requests field (where if you tick the boxes, it says "Requested") - the only way to check you're on the list is to call the EXP desk, I think.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will check the domestic segments off.