AA upgrade list

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Apbjap, May 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Apbjap

Apbjap Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I'm not sure if this question has been asked before. I'm a Executive Platinum with AA, and this morning I was traveling back home from LAX to MIA on a non stop flight. When I got to the airport about 90 minutes before my flight I asked at the counter where was I on the upgrade list and I was told I was number 2, 30 minutes later I checked again from my iPhone and I was 3rd on the list, by the time I went to the gate they had me at the board at number 4. Luckily I finally got the upgrade, but I could not understand why I was dropping. I'm a long time 24 years AA elite member, for the last 6 years I have made EXP, and so far for this year I'm close 60K.

Anybody knows why I was being pushed down the upgrade list.

Thank
    Jp

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happens to me quite often and I a long time ExPlt. As far as I understand it has to do with what fare code you booked in (ie how much you paid) and when you purchased. I usually book a discounted fair two weeks out. There may be other factors but I don't know what they could be.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint. There re a few factors such as when you originally booked your ticket and if someone has a connecting flight. Connecting flights are given priority and then priority goes to the earliest ticket booked. Most likely someone in one of those two categories checked in after you and that pushed you down on the list.

4. Apbjap

Apbjap Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the prompt response. It makes somewhat sense about the fare price. I always buy the discounted price at least 2 weeks ahead, and it makes sense if someone else paid full fare. But for connecting flights, what makes them special?

Also, there is also something else. My brother is also an EXP and when we fly together I'm always ahead of him and sometimes by 2 or more. We booked separately but always at the same time more or less. But not once has he ever been ahead of me. Interesting.....

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer to that one, but they must have some sort of priority based on miles traveled in the case of your brother. I do know that connecting flights take priority, but I do not know why. That is just their policy.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer with regard to connecting flights is actually pretty simple (and nothing makes them " special":)) if another pax in F misses their connection due to their incoming flight being late or delayed for whatever reason...logic would say that AA would rebook them on the next flight in F ( i. e your flight) .. no?

7. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's just a business decision that they believe they need to incentivize connecting passengers more, whereas those flying non-stop have fewer options and thus require lower incentive.

I assume you both request upgrades at the same time? It's not ticketing time that matters, but upgrade request time.

There is an upgrade priority benefit in connecting. As far as rebooking, this is a YMMV case - technically you should be rebooked in whatever class you paid for, but space permitting you'll find other scenarios.