AA Upgrade List Shows Cleared. Yet No Upgrade.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tondoleo, Nov 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I arrived at the gate of my flight departing SFO to MIA earlier this week the board at the gate showed I was number 1 on the list and my upgrade had cleared. I was surprised as my current status is merely Gold and had not received any email from AA. I walked over to the GA and asked if the cleared status was true. She fumbled about and said it was an error and that an AA employee with the same first initial and first three letters of their last name had cleared. Plus, everyone in F had checked in and it is full. EF was showing 2 seats available for upgrade.

When I boarded a different GA looked at my name and said wait a second. I said the board is showing I cleared. What is the issue? He said there had been issues with the board and it has been a problem. He went to talk to the first GA. He came back and said to board.

I settled into 11J on the 763 and enjoyed my flight home.

Has anyone else encountered this type of situation where there is this disparity and GA's who act as if they are being less than honest?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't encountered any issues like the one you described. Usually they GAs will page for me and hand me a new boarding pass. If not, I just board and take my seat. Now that the app shows the order, it takes a lot of guesswork out of it. Although I agree, seeing a check next to my initials would make me ask, too.

tondoleo and marcwint55 like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had multiple instances of the order showing on the board not being the order of cleared upgrades right up to time of boarding. No clue as to the reason.

tondoleo and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never had that problem, although I have seen it happen to others twice previously. My guess is that someone decided that the employee should have the upgrade instead of the gold member.

tondoleo likes this.
  5. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had exactly this problem for the past 2 weeks on SFO-MIA flights. In both cases, the Admirals Club agent reported that the chances for my upgrade did not look promising, yet when I go to the gate, I see my name on the "Cleared" list.

The first time it happened, I excitedly approached the gate agent for my new boarding pass, but the gate agent explained that the display was in error. She said that they had reported the problem, but it persists. I found that odd, so I double-checked the upgrade waitlist on the AA mobile app, and it did show me as #1 on the list but not cleared. Same thing happened on my SFO-MIA flight this past Thursday. I didn't bother asking the gate agent, because it showed me as #5 -- nowhere near the top.

I don't know whether this is just an SFO thing or not, or if there are any shenanigans involved or not, but I feel a bit better that the AA mobile app seems to support what the AC agents tell me regarding my upgrade, even if the display at the gate is somehow faulty.

zphelj and tondoleo like this.
  6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, handy to know the mobile app is correct at least!