AA updates YQ Fuel Surcharge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Franklybrit, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    As first noted by PhilWW262 on FT, AA has introduced a Fuel Surcharge overnight. Full details are here http://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html - search for DATE: 03/31/11 ATPCO RULES TEXT AA1-0064AA to find start of section.

For the time being, award travel doesn't seem to be affected, and hopefully it will stay that way.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I like this post and appreciate that you've brought it to our attention, this is a bad development (where's the "enhancement" email?). I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with award travel or I'll have to reconsider my allegiance to AA.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A lovely April Fool's Day present! Sadly it doesn't appear to be a joke.

Some of those charges are steep. Anyone wanna take bets on how long award tickets are exempt?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indefinitely unless they're out to commit corporate suicide. Then again, they may go the Delta route and apply them for trips originating overseas but not in the USA.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, I wouldn't put it past AA to at least dip their toe in the water to see how it goes. AA hasn't been particularly daring expansion wise, but they have been dabbling a bit on new fees and "service enhancements" for a charge. ;)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems like we might have been mildly duped....?

Word on the street is that these charges have always existed and the language was recently updated, hence the 4/1/2011 indicator which is causing some ruckus. The more you know! ;)

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the pricing today for LHR is showing YQ being applied to the tune of $400. Add the UK departure tax and it's a huge bite. We recently saw AA matching DL's $1200 business fares from BOS and MIA (the DL fares vanished last night, and AA's vanished a while ago) - the YQ and departure tax would have amounted to 50% of the airfare. That's very steep.

David, the YQ wasn't being applied yesterday to the fares I was pricing, at least not according to ITA. It is today.

Maybe this is part of the OW "alignment" - hasn't BA been charging YQ for some time?

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I feel fairly knowledgable on a few AA topics and freely admit that fuel surcharges is not my strong suit, which is why I said "might" above. ;)

From what I see being discussed the talking heads seem to agree that:
    • The updated policy has changed how the fee can be charged (Q or YQ)
    • That we *were* previously paying this fee, but if charged as YQ it appears as a fee and not part of the fare, which is why it appears outside the fare on some searches.
    • Possible increases to the fees (no one can find a table of the old fees to confirm).
    So essentially, this is not AA *introducing* the fee, but it is AA increased and changing how it's charged. At least that's what I've pulled from the discussion.....

FlyingPanda likes this.
  9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really don't see much of a difference in fares from Seattle, average may fare earlier this week SEA-BRU was 980, it is the same now.

I will be prissed if it does apply to award tickets. In which case, I will just fly BA where I get socked with a higher surcharge, but can fly non stop from SEA in better accomodations.

Microwave likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No worries about YQ on award tickets just yet, they're specifically outlined as YQ-free. Please see wording below from AA's updated policy:

A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

1. A surcharge will be assessed for any fare paying passenger each time travel involves enplanement on an AA flight as shown below.
    EXCEPTION: (Not applicable to HKG security surcharge in (D) below Not applicable to infant passengers traveling without a seat on tickets issued for travel originating in Colombia) No surcharge applies to infant passengers without a seat on journeys regardless of the fare charged.
    2. For passengers traveling via AA in both directions, the surcharge outlined below shall be applied twice except as noted.
    3. The surcharge may be converted to the applicable currency for the country of origin in accordance with the appropriate IATA Rate of Exchange.
    4. The surcharge will not apply to passengers traveling on any AA free ticket.
    5. The surcharge applies in addition to all other charges and is not subject to any discount.
    6. The surcharge will be shown as "Q" or "YQ" on the ticket.

FlyingPanda likes this.
  11. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did see a change in fares & breakout yesterday, but I agree - this appears to be more alignment with OneWorld.

12. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the thread title should be revised since this is not an introduction of a new surcharge, but a revision/new breakout of what was already being charged?

FlyingPanda likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is no currently no method to change the title of a thread, even for the OP. The only individual who could make the change is a site admin.

I did send a message to the OP to see if he'd be on board with possibly requesting that happen.

14. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suggested code of conduct/etiquette

Posted to FT too. For everyone's long-term benefit, may I suggest a code of conduct /etiquette for all of us:

1. Please do not post any 3x or carrier name openly, coded or not. Once cached by g'gle, it will remain world-searchable forever.

2. If you pm somebody for info, please share what you already know. Even if I have been researching AA fares, it is from my home airport to my destinations, not yours. Even if I have poured over my ORD-CMB options, I won't have the same feel for SEA-ICN and if you ask me how it can be improved, at least tell me your best fare with dates and 3x. Sounds reasonable?

(Just imagine, I PM you with something like "I need to go MSP-HYD for a wedding and can't get anything lower than $819. Can you help?" You have no interest in or experience with MSP or HYD. I haven't bothered to tell you my dates or 3x. What quality of help can I reasonably expect? If I want your help, I should make it easy for you to help me.)

3. Do not overuse / overpublicize a specific 3X just to save a few dollars; there is no better way to kill a 3X/fd opportunity. Look for other nearby cities, or not so nearby options. Once in a while, splurge on an extra $10 in the interest of 3x diversity.

4. As always, do not call Patriotic, or anybody else for that matter, for any reason. I hate to say this, but an FD'd fare may not be the best place to apply your SWUs either.

5. There exists a vocal school of thought that there is no use being careful, because all FDs and 3Xs will die someday anyway. Of course, so will you and I, but that is not enough reason to rush and commit suicide. :)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I see this causing a bit of confusion, because not everyone knows what this pertains to ;). Those who do are the primary audience for the rules I suppose though!

Would this be better as a stand alone thread? Or perhaps posted here: Trick It! ? Just a thought!

16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine anyone has any other reason to pay attention to YQ, :) but yes the Trick thread would be equally good. Not sure if the post can be moved, or should I make another one there.

17. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    :D

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well I suppose a small group do wonder about it's potential application to award tickets in the future, or have concerns that it will increase their fare if modified, but yeah FD is the big thing for a lot of readers!

No need to move the post, it's totally on topic here. I just think most conversation pertaining to that will be in the other thread, not here. Didn't want you to miss out. ;)

19. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA's one of the few airlines that continues to lose money and AA & LAN (who was planning to introduce a fuel surcharge prior to the Chilean earthquakes) are the only two oneworld airlines that didn't have YQ.

At a minimum I would expect BA awards to now charge YQ on all AA awards (a few months ago BA actually started inconsistently charging YQ on some international AA flights booked via the phone) and it would surprise me that AA eventually follows the same path.