AA Unhappy with New AMEX Lounge Opening in DFW D Terminal

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

Kevin Cox, American's vice president of real estate told the airport committee that the new lounge would put American at a disadvantage because the travel company would pay a lower rate per square foot, according to a report in the Dallas Star-Telegram.

"Never in our wildest dream did we anticipate that there would be a third party building a club in Terminal D," Cox told the board according to the article.

Cox claims American's Admirals Club in the same concourse is never full, even during peak times. He also notes travelers already have a third-party option available at The Club at DFW — a lounge that also doesn't require airline membership, according to the Dallas Star-Telegram.

American Airlines spokesperson Stacey Frantz tells CNBC.com in an email, "At American, we certainly encourage healthy competition including choices for customers traveling through DFW airport. However, the conditions of the American Express contract put us and other tenants at a significant competitive disadvantage. We applaud the board's desire to generate additional revenue, but feel the terms should be based on a more level playing field."

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure exactly what he terms "full" the D club always seems quite crowded everytime i have been there.
    Perhaps AA should ban Amex card holders from using that club.:)

zpaul likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe AA will finally get off their arses and open a Flagship Lounge at DFW - the only AA international gateway in the US without one.

Skye1, ceieoc, rwoman and 4 others like this.
  4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    which AMEX cardholders can access it? only centurion?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BOS and RDU, too, though admittedly one LHR flight is hardly anything. :)

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't think the criteria has been published and isn't in the article. Might want to see if AMEX has a website for the lounge or access information somewhere?

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nor does MIA (with way more International flights than DFW) .. although one is supposedly under construction to be used when the other OW members return to terminal D.

zpaul likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was thinking, but it's been delayed so many times it might as well just be scrapped. With AA's renewed investment in South America, perhaps they'll actually put some effort into it?

zpaul likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt scrapping the MIA FL would be an option. There is currently a (not so great) OW club in the old AC/FL space in concourse E but since the ultimate intention is for AA to completely abandon E ( and both LAN and BA to return to the old "A" area of D) add that to the large number of 3-class flights out of MIA it would become more of a necessity rather than an option.

Sean Colahan and zpaul like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't being serious about scrapping the lounge, I was just joking that they've put off the construction for so long they might as well forget it. ;)

zpaul likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well far from me trying to read into their thinking .. but it does make some sense since the reported locatrion of the FL
    would be around the low D gates.
    With all other OW carriers not even flying from D it would involve clearing security and hiking to the opposite end of the terminal for non AA flyers to access the lounge.

zpaul and DestinationDavid like this.
  12. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have Amex Platinum, you can access AA lounge, Delta Sky club as long as you are flying on that airline. You also have free access to US Airway Club regardless of what airline you are flying on

13. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think AA is concerned because they don't want the competition period. While the Admiral's Club in D is nice, it is by no means a Flagship Lounge and as said above...while it may not be considered "full" by AA standards, it is always busy.

zpaul likes this.
  14. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm familiar (I have it) so that is why I was wondering what exactly the requirement was for AMEX holders.

this is all I found: http://www.americanexpress.com/lacidc/en/laccards/viplounges.shtml

Plat gets you into four AMEX lounges in South America

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I think it is wrong for Amex to open up a competing lounge when AA lounges allow platinum and centurion members inside already.

I remember only a few years ago when AA lounges were not part of the Amex perks and I really appreciated the apparent partnership they entered into.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what about the AMEX lounges? Can you access them?

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the article it tells us this ... so I would assume Platinum and Centurion cards would have access ...

9-7-2012 4-41-24 PM.jpg

18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... also Priority Plus (full membership free with CDN AX Platinum) already allows full access to the following two DFW lounges - I would guess (?) that the AX lounge will also be added as I have found that if it is an AX lounge, Priority Pass generally gives access..

9-7-2012 4-46-37 PM.jpg

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just know that in the US, United Club is not included because it's PriorityPass Select.

You know what they say about assumptions...

20. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only if BA and QF want to ante up to help support it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    This mostly struck me as business 101 though. I can't think of any reason for AA to welcome competition, particularly in their fortress, and I doubt they view the D airport club shared space as a major competitor right now.

Unless I need an AAngel or have guests I use The Club at DFW when I can. It has limited hours and is small but the offerings are better than any domestic AC. Still nothing like many of the international lounges I've visited though. Of course I recently used the BA Concord Room in LHR. Now that's a lounge! <sigh>

22. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been considering the Amex Platinum when my AA Citi Executive lifetime miles points accumulation stops after the 1 year. The T&C mention something about $27 for a guest. Does that mean if the card is in my name, I would have to pay $27 for my husband each time we use the club? If he has a card under my account (supplementary card?) would this be waived? Any help would be much appreciated.

23. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That may be for access with the Priority Pass that comes with the card. It provides access to some U.S. lounges and many international lounges and there is a charge for extra guests.

The Amex Platinum itself gets you into AA, DL, and US lounges with two guests and your supplementary cardholder would have the same benefits.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? While there are joint lounges (DEN, MIA), the other FL's are AA-only.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

25. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know that new airport lounges are a good thing to spend money on when you're in bankruptcy.