AA to offer Galaxy Tab for in-flight entertainment

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TheBeerHunter, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this linked off the AA homepage today:

"American Airlines continues to bring you the latest entertainment options by being the first domestic airline to purchase a branded tablet for premium class entertainment.

The innovative, Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 Android platform tablet will be offered beginning later this year on our premium cabins onboard transcontinental flights between New York's JFK and Los Angeles, JFK and San Francisco, and Miami and Los Angeles served with 767-200 and 767-300 aircraft; international flights to and from Europe and South America served with 767-300 aircraft; and transcontinental flights departing from Boston to Los Angeles served with 757 aircraft."

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetails.do?fN=GalaxyTab.xml&_locale=en_US&anchorLocation=HomePageHero1&reportedTitle=Galaxy Tablet&reportedPosition=5&url=undefined&_locale=en_US&repositoryName=undefined&repositoryId=undefined

JohnDeere19, bakedpatato and Tenmoc like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I used the current offering recently on ORD-BRU-ORD and while it was nice to have something for IFE, I have to admit it did feel very old fashioned to have something so bulky. This will hopefully be a good test run and an improvement we will see stick.

I'm almost never on these routes, so chances are I won't get to see them in action. I'm still praying for some form of personal entertainment option on ORD/DFW-HNL.

I'm also wondering how long it will be before someone chimes in to say they should be iPads. ;)

bakedpatato, Tenmoc and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, welcome to this decade, AA! This is a great leap forward.

Thanks. I was feeling pretty stupid there for a bit...

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I for one am glad to see them supporting the Android powered tabs.

I am not 100% convinced that a Tab is the best way to go, but maybe it is in that as soon as the battery wears out you'd want newer hardware anyway.

I assume these will get most content via the streaming services we've heard about?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Considering these are also going to be on TATL flights, I don't think so. Perhaps you could access some of the streaming content on them, but they'd most likely still be pre-loaded with media.

Don't we all? ;)

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I misunderstood the streaming content. I thought the servers would be local on the plane.

oh well. Don't want to hijack this thread.

This is a nice upgrade.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's a hijack, seems very relevant!

You're correct, the servers would be local on the plane, but the problem isn't the location of the data it would be how the data is transfered to your device. Wouldn 't you still need a wifi signal to access it?

Without the wifi turned on, your media device wouldn't be able to access the server, and as far as I know there isn't wifi turned on during TATL at the moment (unless you're LH).

Or I might not understand how this works at all. :confused:

8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wifi can be turned on (just speaking from router perspective, not regulations) with no WAN signal to the internet TATL. I would assume. So the local network would be the content server, the wifi point and the tabs.

Not sure how of course AA will set it up, but this is how i'd do it with no knowledge of if basic wifi (802.11a,b,g,n) works on a plane or if they need a special standard.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds ideal! Like I said, I'm not a tech wizard, so I don't know all the possibilities. I'd still put my money on the media being pre-loaded and not streamed however.

Maybe this is an area the new AmericanAirlines presence can take a look into and provide some clarification?

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite an investment.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/samsung-galaxy-tab-101-set-to-sail-on-american-airlines/50465

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a nice tablet (got one in May from Google). Still debating whether I should take mine on my next trip to Asia, instead of the iPad 2. One issue (for me) is that I haven't found a case yet that lets me prop it up for airplane viewing.

12. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this is going to be anything like the DigEPlayers used by Alaska Airlines then this is going to mean a massive downgrade in AVOD service. Give me a built-in screen any day. The batteries on these things are never charged properly and run low, the machines are balanced on tray tables and are prone to fall (meaning you'll end up with a damaged one), the content (on the Digeplayers) is stale after a single return flight from Alaska, and the screen is never properly positioned/angled for viewing. You end up either holding the player or positioning your head in an unnatural fashion.

13. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh the Digis...you forgot the buttons not working half of the time ;)We AS frequent flyers put up with em in exchange for...wait....AS F seats suck...food sucks...:rolleyes:
    Nah, as long as AA keeps the content updAAted, the Tab should provide a much better user experience as it has more storage than an Digi, is easier to balance and I guess the only problem is that it will need some sort of stand to angle the screen up.
    Amen. I will only fly HA to HNL on the A332 cause of the IFE otherwise I'd be better off taking AS*...if AA got some real IFE for their metal I wouldn't mind taking AA.
    *as AS doesn't charge for me to use my own headphones on the Digis :rolleyes:

14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's been noted in more than one report that Galaxy sales are not on par with estimates. Steve Jobs had a funny quote from someone at Samsung about "sell-out" vs. "sell-in". The quote may have been wrong, but the moral of the story is that these are not selling as well as Samsung thought they would. I'm guessing the actual sales price on these units is a couple bucks less than what you or I could buy the device for.

17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are also the 10" Samsung Tabs. They are not available until the 17th of this month to the public.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Could be a lot of those sitting in a warehouse somewhere. :D

Slightly OT, our company built a POS system for restaurants. Our early tests with the Galaxy saw it to be much less responsive on touch commands than the iPad. FWIW.

19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Do you attribute that to Android vs iOS or a matter of hardware?

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's such a small sample size, I'm not sure. I had originally heard that the glass on the iPad was the same as the Galaxy. We plan to test some more in the future, but iPads are so prevalent, and opportunity has not presented itself yet.

21. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Keen observations! You're right, media will be preloaded onto the devices.

DestinationDavid and Tenmoc like this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the clarification AmericanAirlines. I do find this surprising, but it is very good to know for sure.

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information, much appreciated. :)