AA to impose fuel surcharges for all international AA Awards

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Kalboz, Aug 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terrible news, if it's true... Lucky reports that AA to impose fuel surcharges for all international AA Awards

Espan, iolaire, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta already does this ex-Europe....makes a mileage ticket cost $400+ on a redemption.

:eek:

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And my loyalty officially hangs in the balance. Will see how this pans out. If YQ is now a factor on all AA award bookings across an ocean, I'm out.

Aktchi, edekba, Tenmoc and 1 other person like this.
  4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out to where? As the Blog suggests, the others are likely to follow suit. And why wouldn't they. It's a quick and simple way to reduce the cost base of redemptions.

LETTERBOY, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I never said the grass is, or would remain, greener elsewhere.

We all travel and play the game toward different end games. Mine is focused on mileage program redemptions. AA's works best for me, and if this change sticks, it no longer will. I'm not keen on many other programs, so I'd move to a different strategy all together.

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terrible indeed. :(

Kalboz, Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost all European based carriers are doing this for years... but still BIG BUMMER... :mad:

And AFAIK, super bright CEO, COOs, etc. at UA and DL will follow this bright suit,... probably soon, :confused:

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is American's "Plan B". :mad:
    Don't they need bankruptcy court's approval for that kinda !@%!?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA's twitter team seems to be confirming a change taking place. Language they're using says they are "collecting other carrier's imposed fees effective today".

Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 8.00.44 PM.png

10. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clearly, AA twitter is confirming the additional charges, so the AAdvantage program drops a few notches.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the Aeroplan approach as there are still some airlines that have not yet "requested" the FS/YQ be added, but most have. This has been the reality in most programs outside the US, so if this holds, either UA will use it as an attraction to MP, or it -- and everyone else -- will join the parade. Stay tuned for more details!

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose its way too naïve to expect the reaction here to be any different from the usual FT over the top illogical panic :rolleyes:

I am not saying that AA will not impose YQ on their own awards but for the life of me I cannot see how the response from American Airlines confirms this. note the catch phrase "other airlines"
    AA already charges YQ on BA,IB, JAL and I believe QF

If this was going to be instituted effective today logic would say these charges would be currently reflected on aa.com, no?
    A dummy booking for a TPA/FCO return I just did shows the total charges for a C ticket of $70.10

Lets not start jumping of the bridge just yet folks:) .

JonNYC, Kalboz and viguera like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, though they were quick to remind me that AA metal still doesn't attract such charges. For now.

zphelj likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA does NOT charge YQ on JL or QF. Just BA and a small YQ on IB up till today.

And I'm not 100% sure how much more confirmation you need to be honest. AA, from multiple fronts, is saying this change was made. We will see what the actual charges are on which airlines in time but this isn't just some rampant run of the mill rumor.

AA has a limited network as it is. Highlighting the "other carriers" aspect as if that's soothing is just odd. AA has stated this isn't being applied to their own awards. Great, as long as you want to go to the handful of destinations they serve internationally outside Central/South America.

If these YQ changes are only for a limited number of carriers or are small dollar amounts, I could live with it. Not life changing. BA style YQ on major OW carriers is another story though.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if I you permit me to do a précis the initial knee-jerk reaction here is/was based solely on (wild) and really incorrect speculation.:)

And just as a reminder to all who appeared to have missed it the header of this very thread says "AA to charge YQ on all International AA Awards"

Kalboz likes this.
  16. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure these miles games, loyalty rewards are worth the trouble. I am positive that others will follow suit too.

MX, Kalboz and Tenmoc like this.
  17. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    If these are "other carrier imposed charges" have they not been charging AA for them in the past, or has AA just not been passing them on to us? This clause "AAdvantage flight awards are subject to, and the passenger is responsible for...as well as any fees or surcharges (including fuel surcharges) imposed by the carrier" has been part of the All Partner Award Chart for a while - so who wasn't passing on what we're now seeing as "new" charges? Were partner carriers not asking AA for them and now are, or had AA been covering them somehow (aside from BA/IB) and has now decided not to, charging us for them instead?

18. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    These fuel surcharges by partner airlines are misnomer. It is pocketed by AA, does not go to partner airlines.

MX and Kalboz like this.
  19. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if this does go down, to me, they're still worth the trouble. I'm still taking trips I normally wouldn't be able to afford with the poitns & miles game, fuel surcharges or not.

brodyf and Kalboz like this.
  20. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disappointing and very poorly executed... maybe a result of letting go your best team members due the merger?

brodyf and Kalboz like this.
  21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "team member" slated to be in charge of the "new post merger AA program" when its actually in place just happens to be same one who currently heads up the current Advantage program ... on to next speculation folks. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  22. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why is everyone having kittens about this?
    AA says they'll charge YQ on those airlines that charge it. They weren't before, and I'm sure each individual airline was pissed about that. I highly doubt it is correct that AA will charge them on AA tickets, or AB or whatever else...AS, HA, etc., if they are not part of that airline's policies. As with BA they're now collecting something they should have been in the first place, consider ourselves lucky we got away with it for so long.

Now, if this includes a NEW policy of YQ on AA, have puppies; kittens are too small.

Frankly IMHO they should outlaw it period. A 'carrier imposed surcharge' is called a fare. Include it in the price. (And similarly, a 'free' ticket really should be free of all fares and fees that go directly to the airline itself.

Kalboz, viguera and adambadam like this.
  23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fees they're collecting don't actually go to the operating airline. They go to AA for doing nothing more than issuing an award ticket, amounting to a ticketing/award fee under the guise of a fuel surcharge.

Perhaps AA will change the wording on their web site: "Use AAdvantage Miles for discounts on international flights."

MX, Espan and adambadam like this.
  24. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    As someone not based in US. Ouch.

Kalboz likes this.
  25. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:

:confused: I didn't know that! Then it's just a scam by all of them.

Kalboz likes this.