AA to Expand WiFi Availability to 757 & More MD80s; Testing Aircell Media Streaming

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA's press release located here.

Key Points:

• The Wi-Fi expansion will include 93 of American's domestic 757s used for routes within the continental United States, and up to 50 additional MD80 aircraft. Installation will begin this summer and continue through 2012. In addition, American continues to install Wi-Fi service on its entire fleet of 737-800 aircraft.

• American, partnering with Aircell, is currently testing the new inflght video system on two Boeing 767-200 aircraft in transcontinental service, and plans to begin customer testing early this summer. The airline's goal is to roll out this product on Wi-Fi-enabled aircraft starting this fall pending FAA certifications.

• The new product will allow customers to wirelessly stream content such as movies and TV shows from an inflight library to their personal Wi-Fi-enabled devices during flight.

GogoInflight likes this.
  2. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this! Obviously, this is exciting news for us.

MJonTravel and DestinationDavid like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure many AA FFers will be happy to see that they can continue to work or entertain themselves with WiFi on more flights. The streaming content sounds interesting as well. Will it be fee based, or included in the purchase of the WiFi?

4. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    We haven't finalized any pricing yet, nor have we finalized the content providers we'll be using. A lot is involved in getting a service like this up and running, but as soon as we know more about how/what/why/when and the price, I'll be sure to post it here. A lot will also depend on user feedback from our trials.

PanAm likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense, thanks for engaging! :)

6. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall a survey last year where there were some specific questions about perceived usage of/interest in a streaming service were it available. It may have been that this was already a committed project and they were testing the water, but it would be nice to think that this trial is a result of customer support for this project!

7. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news! Though I fly UA more than AA, the lack of widespread wifi (heck, lack of basically any wifi) on UA is a big advantage for AA (and DL)

8. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news! I always purchase the 30 day pass. Now, perhaps I can have wifi on all of my flights instead of half my flights. I prefer wifi over Direct TV.

9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting!

There's an existing thread already discussing the WiFi/Streaming Media announcement. For those who want to follow both discussions here's a link to the other thread.

I asked the Admins to merge the threads so we can hopefully keep all the info on WiFi/Streaming Media tests in one spot.

11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    So am I to understand that the content will be onboard on some server and just going out over the wifi signal? Or are they going to choke the cellular connection to bring content in from off the aircraft while in flight?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There will be some sort of onboard server, GoGoInflight said this over on FT.

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks as always David. Knew someone would know.

14. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could be a good thing, if they have good new programming. I dont do much domestic, but a lot of intl and the same shows and movies over and over just plain sucks.

15. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The video service is only slated for WiFi equipped aircraft, so that won't help you out with Int'l flights on 777s, 763s, or 75Ls.

16. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    No it wont and I know that, but I hope they have new programming often for domestic folk.

17. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. Nice way to offer a kind of oft-requested "personal IFE" which is essentially non-existent on AA's domestic fleet while being able to charge out the a-s for it. Gotta be lots cheaper than installing a bunch of seat-back video screens. Guess I can't begrudge AA the extra revenue which they sorely need...

18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sad that the possibility of a HD-quality stream was not pursued; I'd pay over and above the current pricing to be assured of being able to watch internet-delivered content. Oh well, back to the DVDs.

19. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently AA are ready to launch streaming video on their 762s. AA posted links to a press release and YouTube video announcing the news. Excerpt of the release follows:

GogoInflight and Tenmoc like this.