AA to CX connection at LAX -Separate PNRs - Any way to Check bag JFK-LAX-HKG?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mundosurfer, Oct 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am flying JFK-LAX-HKG on thursday, and I have 2 separate tickets (AA)JFK-LAX and (CX) LAX-HKG.
    Can the agents at JFK link my ticket and check the bag all the way to HKG?
    AA and CX should have an interline agreement so I don't think that would be the issue, but this is the first time I have never tried this on any carrier other than CO and was wondering if anyone had experience with this on AA.
    Thanks

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA and CX have an interline agreement, so just provide your LAX-HKG ticket number at check in at JFK and your bag will be tagged all the way through to Hong Kong.

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, they need not have an interline agreement for that. All IATA member airlines can do it as long as they have the correct ticket number and flights. Some do decline to do it anyway, even when on the same ticket and same alliance, but I have never had that happan on OW.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    What the OP proposes will not be a problem.

Agreed, I have never had a problem inside an alliance, unless there's too long a connection e.g. > 12 hours. Although I've had TG through-check bags with a 14-hour overnight connection, but I was flying in F. ;)

BA has refused to through-check bags LHR-JFK-DCA when I was connecting to DL for JFK-DCA on a separate ticket. But they certainly would have been able to do so, and it didn't really matter anyway since you collect your bags at the US arrival city, drag them through customs, and drop them back off anyway.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had a problem through-checking bags for an overnight connection once I point out that it's less than twenty-four hours (or the next flight) and therefore not a stopover. This is mostly experience with KLM to NW/DL, some AF to DL recently too. I've also done fine with DL to SQ (or SQ at LAX) then an overnight SQ to SQ connection in SIN of well over twelve hours.

7. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I've done an RJ to QF connection with bags checked through that was ~21 hours.

8. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for everyone that replied. This morning went very smoothly, the AA agent was very nice and even checked me in for the CX portion.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not completely convinced this is accurate. There are both interline ticketing and baggage agreements between airlines and the two must have the appropriate agreements to pass bags between them. JetBlue, for example, is an IATA member but they only provide interline baggage checking to a handful of other airlines.

Having an interline agreement is a prerequisite to airlines being able to pass bags between the carriers but that doesn't mean that they have to. The example above from BA is a great example of it not happening even if they do have the agreement.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Having interline agreements with all other members of an alliance is one of the basic requirements for joining one.

An Interline Agreement is always required. As with most major IATA carriers, AA does have agreements with most other major carriers (but certainly not all 230+ IATA members):

[KVS Availability Tool 6.5.1/Diamond - Reference: Interline Agreements [IET]: AA]
    Code:
    ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-AA                      
     INTERLINE CARRIER CODES                                        
       AB - AC - AF - AI - AM - AP - AQ - AS - AV - AY              
       AZ - BA - BD - BE - BL - BR - BW - B6 - CA - CI              
       CM - CO - CX - CZ - DL - EG - EI - EK - ET - EY              
       FI - FJ - F9 - GF - G3 - HA - HG - HP - HU - IB              
       IG - IT - JC - JJ - JL - JM - JO - JQ - KA - KE              
       KL - KQ - KU - KX - LA - LH - LO - LP - LR - LX              
       LY - MA - ME - MH - MP - MS - MU - NH - NU - NZ              
       OA - OS - OZ - PK - PR - PU - PZ - QF - QR - RJ              
       SA - SK - SN - SQ - SU - SV - S7 - TA - TG - TK