AA to Close Four Admirals Clubs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dayone, Apr 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Washington Dulles (IAD), Kansas City (MCI), Santa Domingo (SDQ) and Panama City (PTY). IAD, MCI and SDQ Clubs will close effective end of business July 31, 2012. The Panama City (PTY) Club will close end of business June 30, 2012.

http://www.restructuringamr.com/our-people-arp-psr-kt2.asp

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I thought I had read in one of the restructuring pages previously that IAD and MCI were closing, but hadn't seen PTY and SDQ.

Out of the 4, I've only used the MCI club. Sad little location, but the staff was nice.

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAD is surprising to me. It might be low volume for AA but there should be lots of premium passengers as well as oneworld partner flights, assuming that the terminal security setup allows access.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say I'm surprised about Dulles. I stopped in there a couple times the last two years when I was doing UA flights (no club membership with them) and they were lucky to have a half dozen passengers there each time. BA has their own lounge for departures in that same terminal so they pretty much draw just from AA. Loved being able to get a sandwich at Pot Belly or a burrito at Chipotle and then pop into the AC afterward. As to actual AA flying from there, though, the only time you'd see me there would be on award travel where I couldn't find a flight into DCA, my preferred airport there.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DCA has a few advantages over IAD. Perhaps AA will co-locate with BA's lounge similar to DEN/PHL.

6. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nuts. I liked the MCI club and the IAD club was very helpful when I came off the long lost SEA-IAD AS red eye.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe JL's enhancments to the NRT lounge will offset the loss of these locations a bit. I certainly use the NRT lounge much more than any of the above.

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The IAD club is/was all about the employees. It's my home airport, so I've gotten to know them well. I've always really enjoyed how they've taken care of me and my family.

As noted earlier in the thread, this strikes me as a logical place for them to share with BA. It's working fine at a low volume airport like DEN. Should benefit both airlines from a cost standpoint and still keep the premium customers happy.

9. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree on all counts. The lease cost was probably eating them alive and if they can figure out a sharing relationship with BA, it would be beneficial to both.

10. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BA club lounge is much better at IAD that AA anyway. Hope they arrange for us to use it.

TrippePanAM, Dreamworks and jbcarioca like this.
  11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    MCI had a decent staff, but was really too small, and not really in an airport with enough volume to justify one. I'm surprised ATL survived, but then I love the staff there. I think ATL could still end up on the chopping block if UA makes enough of an offer to convince them to move, since UA really wants the AA gates to move the legacy CO operation over.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming most of you are AA Club members or maybe Amex Plat cardholders. I visited the MCI lounge. Small, and deserted, but nice staff and comfortable. I find the AA lounges nicer than the US lounges. Maybe they will be together at some point. :D

How do they choose where lounges go? I assume that MCI was a holdover from an acquisition like TWA or something.

13. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's to a few quick MR's to go check out any clubs before they go ..

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully you aren't including MCI on that list. It's really not worth the MR. :D

15. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the price is right ... ;)

I have fond memories of some clubs that no longer exist, like FRA. Sad to see them go but change is inevitable.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a little surprised that PTY is closing, but I'm also a bit surprised that it existed in the first place. AA has a lot of service all over the Caribbean, but they're just O/D at PTY and there only 4 flights. I would guess SDQ is the same way.

FWIW, IB operates a lounge at SDQ so that can also pick up some of the slack for AA. They could even probably cut a deal with UA/CM to provide access for F passengers on the 4x daily flights ex-PTY if they wanted to. MCI is the only one where there are no alternative options at all.

17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The SDQ one isn't/wasn't much to write home about. Staff was pleasant enough, but no windows and just kind of a depressing mood. Oh well, at least I have United club membership (Thanks to Chase PP card) and can just go next door to the Copa club.