AA Takes Delivery of Its First New Airbus

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The delivery took place in Hamburg, Germany. This is AA's first Airbus delivery since 1993. The last time AA actively flew an Airbus plane was 2009.

Look out for the A319 coming to a route near you sometime soon. ;)

More info on the event here: LINK.

Airbus-A319-in-flight.jpg

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the temporary German registration and little flag (latter on the tail over the blue bars)! Suppose I'll get a taste of it later this fall from DFW-YYZ. Hope the front cabin load is light so my upgrade will clear.

Mike Reed, zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be looking out for them and doing my best to route via a Boeing aircraft... have never really like the Airbus planes

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

LETTERBOY and DCtrAAveler like this.
  5. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder, too. I've always liked them, myself, and am glad to have them in the mix now with AA. May not actively seek them out, but also won't actively avoid them either.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only down side I can see on the A319s are a reduced FC cabin which is never good for u/g ratios if they end up replacing MD 88/83s.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Specifically for the 319 it will be the reduced F cabin... but have just never liked Airbus aircraft in general. Aircraft just don't seem as well built as Boeing's planes. Before you ask, I am not an employee, supplier, or stock holder of Boeing!

Gtitan and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the A320 series to B737 series principally because they are quieter and smoother, both probably a function of being designed with FBW and in the 1980's rather than the 1960's. I'd still choose schedule over airplane type nearly all the time.
    That is a deficiency that surprised me when they first released the configuration of the A319 on AA. I don't like that either.
    I was just curious why. People have preferences and should have. Factually I doubt there is any measurable difference in construction quality, although there is plenty of debate about ability in adopting new technologies. Even that has faded since Boeing began to adopt FBW with the B777 and began to use more composites about the same time. I'm ignoring recent events regarding B787 design and build problems. Those are temporary, just as those of the A380 were. Any of them would have serious quality control problems when moving to dramatically different electrical architecture without adequate testing.

LETTERBOY and DCtrAAveler like this.
  9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Realistically thought, how much of that 60's design remains in the NGs, except perhaps hydraulics, fuselage shape and ground clearance? More importantly, how much is noticeable to the passenger?

As a primarily UA flyer I get to spend time in both Airbus twins and 737NGs. There is no difference in noise level that I can detect. Airbus seats are 0.5" wider, but even that is barely noticeable... thankfully.

I bet a plane's age and condition play much greater role in passenger satisfaction. Overhead bins on UA's 737 were designed in the 90's or even this century, whereas A320 bins were designed in the 80's. *That* matters so much more than whether it's flown by a stick or a yoke, or whether the controls are connected to wires or hydraulics. Actuators on A320 still generate plenty of whining noise. :)

Personally I'm looking forward to checking out the new A319s. Love that new airplane smell, don't you?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a lot of the original design remains, mostly the basic fuselage and mechanical control systems, but I doubt any customer would se the difference, including me.

LETTERBOY and eponymous_coward like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's VERY noticeable if you're wider in the shoulders than a 737 Y seat, and you have the misfortune of being next to other people built like American football linebackers in their shoulders. ;)

DCtrAAveler, jbcarioca and brodyf like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truth be said, legalalien stated the most important point of all. I always prefer new aircraft.:D Not always new types.:eek:

eponymous_coward and DCtrAAveler like this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Looking at pics of the bins on AA's new 319, I much prefer the new bins on the 738s. So roomy.

eponymous_coward and jbcarioca like this.