AA SWU

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by atc1968, Sep 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. atc1968

atc1968 New Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys!

I know its illegal to sell SWU. But there are a lot out there getting away with it.

My question, If I purchase this SWU's from the owner and I got confirmation from AA that my segment has been upgraded, can those upgrades be pulled/canceled/voided by the owner after it has been confirmed and before the travel?

daninstl likes this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they absolutely can. Don't do it.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., call me suspicious, but when I see a posting like this from a new member (Member Since: Today) asking about a clearly illegal action regarding one of the "Big Airlines", I can't help but wonder if the OP is in the employ of that particular airline.

4. atc1968

atc1968 New Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an employee lol. They are tempting and I thought of getting someones opinion because I don't want to get screwed out there :)

daninstl likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why in the would an AA employee post such a question here anyway? Its not as if the OP offered a SWU for sale or requested one for purchase.:rolleyes:

daninstl likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fraud Department, if they have one.

daninstl likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA actually does have such a department which has a reputation of being by far the most pro-active in investigating abuses/contraventions to the Advantage program. but trust me its way much more sophisticated In its investigations than trying to post a vague leading question on a BB like MP ( which lets face it has very limited traffic) when there is E-bay or even FT's Coupon Collection
    In fact due to recent crackdowns FT had closed CC for a while and only re-opened it after putting in place much more stringent rules (at least on the AA forum).

That said its quite obvious that AA has concentrated their efforts on brokers and I for one commend them for that IMHO the sale of miles and/or upgradable instruments only depreciates the program for legitimate users like myself.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    As do I! And, if I were in the business of fraud detection at AA, DL or UA, I would regularly troll MP, TOBB, etc. for such activity. For the same reasons that you mention, I hope that they do just that!

daninstl likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it is certainly against the rules to sell a SWU, they can be given to friends or relatives. The elite member has to call in and ask to apply them to the flight that applies. I actually had another EXP give me one last year when I ran out of my own, and AA had no problems with that.

10. atc1968

atc1968 New Member

Status Points:
    Might as well include craigslist because that is where I see them.

dallas .craigslist. org/ ndf/ tix/ 4663265005. html

I fly from DFW to NRT twice a year on coach, and being inside that tube for 13 1/2 hours makes it so tempting! But I think i'll just suck it up :)

Newscience likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    True enough but there are instances where it may not work exactly like that. I had one occasion where the process required a conference call between the recipient and the donor and then there is
    the situation where changes/modifications or even a cancellation may occur... try sorting that out with somebody who you only just met on e-bay:).

marcwint55 likes this.