AA SWU upgrade availability direct vs connection

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jason, Jun 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to the world of searching for upgrades, but is availability linked to your final destination? What I mean is I was just playing around with expertflyer and wanted to see if there were any flights to Europe next May that had availability to upgrade to business class. I tried London direct from DFW and couldn't find 2 available. But when I tried CDG, there was availability on the flight to London, but not on the BA flight on to Paris. Is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA SWUs are only good on AA metal, so you won't see any availability on BA metal. So you saw C space on DFW-xLHR(-CDG) but not on the same flights but terminating in London? Curious.

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have seen exactly what Jason has written about. Looking LHR-DFW early next year to check out the new 777's but nothing available. Using ZRH-LHR-DFW I get 2-C open up (between LHR-DFW), and assure everyone this is on AA metal new configured 777 business (not BA).
    Strange to me and would like to also know if this is normal for UG searches?

4. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's right. I posted screen shots too. I thought it was strange.

5. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if it's entirely the same issue since your case involves an international connection, but earlier this year I encountered a situation where I 'found' C space for a DCA-MIA-BCN ititerary that AA, when called, said didn't exist. Turns out that the DCA-MIA leg was creating the appearance of availability when there really wasn't anything MIA-BCN. After exchanges with EF, and their checking with AA, EF advised that one should always check the US to INTL flight (or vice-versa) on its own - no connections - to get the truest picture of availability.

See post #4 in this thread for explanation I was given. May be the same issue at play in your case. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/issues-with-aa-inventory-showing-correctly.28975/

Jason and John777 like this.
  6. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that does seem to be quite similar. It's interesting that you don't get an accurate picture using the full itinerary. Odd.