AA Suspends JFK-HND and 1 of its DFW-NRT flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Announced today and starting to make the rounds. Please note that for now these are listed as temporary service reductions. Info linked and copied below:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agencyPrograms/main.jsp

Japan Schedule Changes and Travel Policy

Due to the recent tragic events in Japan and decreased demand for air travel, from April 6 through April 26, American Airlines will suspend two daily flights:
    • One of the two flights between Dallas/Fort Worth and Tokyo Narita
    • The flight between New York JFK and Tokyo Haneda
    American Airlines will be handling customers affected by the cancelled flights. Customers affected by the cancelled flights will have the option to be rebooked or receive a full refund to the original form of payment. Travel Agents are to follow the normal guidelines for Schedule Change-Rule 240/80. Please refer to Schedule Change-Rule 240/80.

2. giggy
    Original Member

giggy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can understand haneda but the dfw seems like overkill

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well the announcement outlines that the decision was based on low demand. It isn't hard to imagine that new bookings were most likely minimal, and that customers with existing bookings have taken advantage of AA's travel waivers to move or cancel their plans. Plus, it's only one flight, they still have once a day service between DFW and NRT.

Take into consideration that JL has also canceled quite a few flights out of NRT and that about 50% of AA's traffic to NRT is connecting to JL, I'm not sure it's overkill. Seems like it'll save both JL and AA money in this low travel period.

4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder where these 777s are going to be flying to during this 3-week period ...

5. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wondering if this might happen - we had a April 6 flight to HND that we changed to Madrid just this past week, and the AA reps seemed to be processing quite HND changes.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully on my ORD-CLE flights next week! ;)

7. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they'll cancel the JFK-HND flgihts beyond April. I wouldn't be surprised if the route is completely canned after this summer. The route is already horrible (timing wise), and now people are just not travelling to Japan. AA probably will be losing money if they keep the route open.

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Parked.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE

Thanks to JALPak 's thread on the cancellation of the SFO-HNL service which included a linked article included information on AA's Tokyo flights, we know the following:

Flights resumed today for the canceled flights.

However, the JFK-HND flight will go on hiatus again following the close of Japan's "Golden Week" holiday on May 8.

The flight will start up again on July 1 for the anticipated high summer traffic, but AA plans to continue monitoring loads.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA is changing dates on the JFK-HND delay....

LINK.

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was actually in JFK the first night this flight left. One of these days I'll get on it. Glad its set to come back July 1, 2011.

12. murphyjunk

murphyjunk Active Member

Status Points:
    We have tickets for jfk hnd 30 sept

I spot checked plane load for a few weeks up to then, looks like not many bookings

I hope they do not put it into hiatus again

any one have any insight into this?

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a few trips to Japan and other parts of Asia this year already and I could never make the connections work with the timing of the HND flights. I really did want to fly this route to take advantage of the bonus but I ended up sticking with NRT.

murphyjunk and Gargoyle like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

It's probably too early to speculate. A lot will depend on how loads evolve. If it's cancelled, AA will work with you to reroute either through NRT or using the DFW flight.

murphyjunk likes this.
  15. jfkeze

jfkeze Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew on July 1st, pretty decent loads in Bus, the return on the 4th, the plane was almost empty... 13 seats occupied in Bus, about 120ish I think in the back...
    I pre-ordederd the Japanese meal (yummy) and had a great FA! :D
    spent the night before the plane at the 24 hour lounge in HND... http://www.100by30.com/2011/07/sleeping-at-haneda-tiat-sky-lounge.html (for a review of the lounge)
    also the flight miles and bonus miles posted within hours of landing... :)

Microwave and Tenmoc like this.
  16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. Nice review.

17. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like there is more to the story....

jfkeze likes this.
  18. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread got me all worried...I'm booked to go this month and everything looks normal right now, but that far down, who really knows what will happen.

murphyjunk likes this.
  19. murphyjunk

murphyjunk Active Member

Status Points:
    check the open seats on the AA sight to get an accurate idea of whats happening on any date,

so far, looks like they are less than half full most dates

yesterdays aa 135 delayed

elayed 130 minutes
    Last change to status 80 minutes ago
    Arrival Estimate:
    Estimated Gate Arrival at 12:25 AM

lets hope this is not a trend, as a connection to another flight like jal 033 at 1 am would be tight

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unrelated to your topic, but as is often mentioned on FT and MP, seat maps are a very unreliable method of judging how many tickets have been sold on a flight. You're not getting the full picture at all. Can't blame a guy for trying though! ;)

On topic, I suspect we will know more about the JFK-HND flight once the summer get rolling a bit more....

murphyjunk and Tenmoc like this.
  21. murphyjunk

murphyjunk Active Member

Status Points:
    is there a better way to check on filled seats, I'm all for giving it a try

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long before the flight can one check in and go to the lounge (airside through security?)?

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    EF and KVS, but they're paid services.

murphyjunk likes this.
  24. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just flew HND-JFK less than a week ago. The flight was only half full, lots of economy pax got to stretch out in the 5-seat row. In an example of Japan's corruption, NRT lobby has managed to restrict international slots at HND to inconvenient hours. Flights arrive too late for pax to take the train; for most pax departures are too early to take the trains. So instead of $10 train rides, you are looking at $100 taxis, a loss of approx $200 per round trip.

I think this flight is not going to make it unless AA and HND management solve this problem somehow. One possibility might be to arrange a cheap, almost-at-cost deal that includes hotel room and shuttle transfer. There are other creative ways: my own flight was "delayed" by 1 hour, apparently as the plane waited for extra fuel to be delivered. The pilot dicovered the need for additional fuel after initial fueling. :) Good customer friendly job. I hope they keep it up.

murphyjunk likes this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can't AA just flip it's arrival and departures times (like ANA has)? The train isn't an issue in that case. Sounds more like a planning issue that an issue with the times given.

Japan is my most frequent destination internationally, so I'm aware of the issues HND faces. Increasing loads are one thing, but the times I see as fixable. Their related but not the sole reason for low loads either.

murphyjunk likes this.