AA Super Bowl Commerical

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ord_a380, Feb 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was anyone pretty excited/shocked to see AA running a commercial yesterday during the big football game last night?? Good to see AA making PR moves....

rwoman, zphelj, gleff and 1 other person like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Repainting and PR moves can only be ruses and distractions from the coming blows: US merger and points devaluation. Not expecting anything pleasant from AA for a little while.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Randy thinks (in the lead editorial in the February Inside Flyer) that a merged US-AA goes revenue-based right away.

I disagree. I think that a merger forestalls devaluation. Bankruptcy certainly has, remember that AA has the award chart that's been around the longest in current form. We've seen bonuses but not devaluation, you don't upset the apple cart during bankruptcy or in the immediate aftermath of a merger. Remember they want to pretend that we're going to see "changes you're going to like."

A merger will likely mean the AA award chart, so none of the sweet spots US offers like US-North Asia for 90k in business, or cheap Australia awards. But I don't think any reason to suspect a devaluation. Although without a merger I'd have expected a US devaluation given the speed at which they print miles and that it's been 3 years since they've done so..

anabolism, malikguy and MX like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the current AA mile fire sale?
    I hope you're right.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, we'll eventually get changes. I'm just saying I don't expect major changes to be immediate.

rwoman likes this.
  6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about the return AA gets by running TV ads during the most expensive event of the year. Most americans aren't willing to pay up for a better airline experience (More Room Throughout Coach is one example). Premium cabin flyers are where the margins are, and advertising the flagship suite in international gateways makes sense. But...not sure this new livery is going to bring over corporate travel departments or international business travellers to american.

anabolism likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must have missed the commercial. Or maybe they didn't show it in the Bay Area as they don't have a lot of service left here :)

8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reference DL/NW on the future of AA/US FF program. I agree that they kept everything the same or better, then we got stuck. Of course, we could run to AA. What is left to run to?

MX likes this.
  9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. As someone who never watches a sports game on TV (aside from some of the Olympics, which I consider athletics rather than sports), I'd not have seen it save for your link.

Anyone else notice how carefully the baggage guy places the red suitcase on the belt at 0:08-0:010? Whenever I see baggage handlers, they throw, toss, and slam the bags onto the belt.

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. I suppose they're trying to get an image across of "AA means new planes," but I wonder if this will backfire since the odds of anyone being on a new plane are fairly small now.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    A way to boost revenue during the winter, when it tends to be low. Possibly also an effort to bolster the position of current management.