AA stops ORD to HNL Non-stop service

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by wingslats, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Looks like AA dropping Non-Stop from ORD to HNL, now funneling traffic through DFW and LAX. I got the call from AA with news they cancelled my AA #72 and AA#73. Lost FRA and BRU non-stop service already. Wonder what is next?

JohnDeere19 and sobore like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW! :oops:

Definitely didn't see that one coming.

3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like we know where AA has it's priority hub.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. I get the feeling we're going to see more AA schedule fallout at ORD, and I don't like thinking having my plans all messed up when they choose to take inventory out of their system. I feel sorry for AA agents who have to do the work of cleaning up after service reductions (fun explaining why you should feel good when they're solution is a worse schedule &/or worse seating vs. what you originally bought). Will be interesting to watch how supply & demand shapes out in the next 6 to 12 months. Sorry to say it, but I think I'm going to prepare myself for a honeymoon with UA (and LH), again.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The nice part, particularly for those connecting through ord on award tickets, is they can now pick any reasonable routing that they'd like...without capacity controls (other than the number of seats).

6. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seasonal change. Hiatus begins January 9th and returns June 14th.

JohnDeere19, sobore and rwoman like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From a $$$ perspective it's probably a really bad use of that plane to begin with. Can't say I'm all too surprised that in the current environment this happened.

8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The route tended to draw extremely (!) senior international flight crews. Was on it more than once in F -- and it was, each time, almost a time warp service-wise. One time was the day before my 60th birthday and I had mentioned that to the person in an adjoining seat. That person, after too much wine, then told the purser, who turned to me and said "Congratulations, that's great, but don't be too proud. I've got five years on you, kid."

ORD - HNL had recently been reinstated at the time. When I asked her if the route would last, she said "I certainly hope so. If it doesn't, I'll just wrap up my 42 years seniority and retire." She actually said ORD - HNL was all she bid anymore, and virtually all she flew.

Others on that route have told me they alternated ORD - HNL and ORD - PVG, etc.

Of course DFW is a senior base too and DFW - HNL is also flown by international crews, but the ORD Hawaiian route tended to draw some of the really, really seasoned crews. I gathered this was true of cockpit crews as well.

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes, I loved this for east coast to HNL trips...the best product I think I've flown that route. I assume rewards are going to dry up too.

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that route seemed to be relatively easy to redeem at times -- even MileSAAver, even F, with relatively short notice. I really didn't enjoy flying east from Kansas to go west to HNL, but that's where the availability was sometimes, and the service was very, very good. The fact that those seats were open to give out as awards, of course, might show us that the route wasn't really packing them in with real revenue, which in turn may show us why they are dropping it at least for now. Just a thought.

LETTERBOY and JohnDeere19 like this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before we get too maudlin about all this, remember what JNB280 pointed out above. At this point it seems to be a seasonal discontinuation only. After reading JNB's post I confirmed that on aa.com -- flights are back in the schedule for the second part of June.

LETTERBOY and JohnDeere19 like this.
  12. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA flies a 747 on this route in the winter, so the demand is there. Is this really a seasonal route for AA?

13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    kw335, in 2010 I know that it was in fact reinstated in June or so in 2010. That June is when the Chicago-based purser with 42 years seniority was gushing to all us passengers how nice it was to have it back, and if it went away again she likely would just retire.

Since then I thought the route has been year-round, though not necessarily 7 days a week. Now it will be going away again, but back on the sked for June of 2012.

14. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This retreat of AA definitely makes no good not only to AA flyers but also UA flyers. Less competition=>higher fare.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Demand and profit are two different things though.

Titans26 and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    United flies the domestic 777. And the prices aren't cheap either. It costs a lot more money to fly non stop to HNL than to most places in Europe. Problem is finding premium passengers. United doesn't have that problem as their tripple holds 250+ in coach and only 36 crappy domestic F seats. My best guess is that AA doesn't have the right equipment to make money on the route

17. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should be a sessional drop, but i might be wrong as we have been dropping some good routes as a cornerstone ( unless arpey dropped ohare as a cornerstone this week).. I am curious on the demand/loads as united still has a plane to there..

It is disappointing as i would rather not add extra flight time to dallas or la to grab the flight to HNL. Cant rem if LAX still has HNL service that is another option to get to HNL as i thought LAX should still have 2 flights a day last time i checked. Could be worse, they could of subbed a CRJ on that route ( just kidding).. Now only if they would sub that route/777 for the many euro ones they dropped... hmmmmmm.........

What dates did they drop the service from?

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    See JNB280's post, the sixth one on this thread.