AA Stopover Clarity - Help!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by stgoeke, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. stgoeke

stgoeke Active Member

Status Points:
    My question is around adding Europe to an award trip to Hawaii (nothing is booked yet). My home airport is PHL. Looking to fly AA on the Hawaiian potion and BA on London portion.

I get the concept, but can't get my head around dates lining up:

Flight one: LHR - PHL (stop) PHL - DFW - HNL. Let's say I want to do LHR-PHL on April 1 and the Hawaii flight on October 1.

Flight two: HNL - DFW - PHL (stop) PHL - LHR. I can book the Hawaii portion on October 10, no problem. But, I will have to book the LHR portion after that....say October 12, right? Even though it is clearly playing the system, would AA allow me to reschedule the PHL-LHR segment to April 7 prior to the Hawaiian portion?

Hopefully the answer is yes - that would be pretty cool. If no, are there any other options rather than buying/booking another one way?

Thanks all!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi stgoeke, welcome to MP.

The short answer to your question - No, you cannot do that.

AA does allow some flexibility with change award travel dates, but you cannot fly the segments out of sequence.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. stgoeke

stgoeke Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David....hey.....it was worth a shot!

One other related question: can I book the LHR-PHL leg on BA or do all flights in a BA Award Ticket have to be on AAmetal?

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On a partner award you can mix and match various carriers. Only the oneworld explorer awards limit the carriers.

5. vinyl slider

vinyl slider Active Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick follow-up for clarification on changing dates:

I'm planning the following for our family:

One-way award:
    1. Mar. 2013 DFW>LAX

One-way award with NA gateway stopover:
    2a. Mar. 2013 LAX>DFW (stopover)
    2b. Jun. 2013 DFW>LHR>EDI

One-way award with NA gateway stopover:
    3a. Jun. 2013 CDG>DFW (stopover)
    3b. Dec. 2013 DFW>LAS

One-way award:
    4. Dec. 2013 LAS>DFW

Here are the questions:
    1. I'd like to book this when the 331-window opens in July for the DFW>LHR>EDI and CDG>DFW segments. It seems I can book a dummy DFW>LAS at that time (but still within the 331-day window, e.g. late Jun. 2013) then change the dates of the DFW>LAS segment later to Dec. 2013?

2. Presuming so, I would be getting 2a and 3b essentially "free" as part of the NA gateway stopover rule right?

Thanks!