AA Status Match

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by perryplatypus, Oct 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering if AA is still matching United status. I have a friend of mine that want to join us over here on the dAArk side. He currently had UA Gold so I think that would match over to AA Plat right?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    All I've seen says the matching is done. Best route is probably a status challenge instead.

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of last month, they're matching UA 1Ks and GS only.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems that part might be dead too for a few weeks now if the lively FT thread is to be believed.

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Related question... if AA will match UA status, then, will they match the status you have with another OW carrier...? Anybody have experience with this...? I have Gold equivalent on LAN (Premium), and while it looks like I may want to sign up for the Plat challenge, doing the Plat challenge starting from a Gold status sounds a nicer way to do this....

Is what Im saying possible...?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No harm in asking, but... no. :)

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With the UA matches, I was told that each match was being handled on a "case-by-case" basis. They did not explain the whos, whats or anything like that.

Logically speaking, I doubt that would be done. But, like DD said in the previous post, it sure doesn't hurt to ask.

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    :(

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As stated above highly unlikely ... the whole idea of a status match is to attract customers from an airline you complete with. There are only a handful of routes which AA competes with LAN and in any event if you have top status on LAN you are pretty much equivalent to AA Gold.

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alliances don't generally status match between members as poaching is not seen as sportsmanlike...and they also know it's an easy way just to scam more fancy coloured cards and luggage tags. When this happens it may be based on one's location changing so that your future travel pattern will favour the new partner...such as moving from an address in SAmerica to one in NAmerica in the case of matching LAN status to AA. Often this involves a Challenge, since that guarantees you are indeed going to be flying AA.

11. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiosity, why is he/she wanting to switch?

12. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    He wanted to switch because he is moving from a UA hub to an area where is choices are Southwest or AA.

13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance they might have a corporate travel arranger with an AA contact? I'm just optimistic that AA is going to comp UA midtier to AA midtier just with a phone call or we'd be having lots of discussion on that topic. Even when the wholesale AA matching was offered to 1Ks, lower tier UA flyers only got in the first day or two before they were cut off.

14. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm 1K @ UA; called AA last week to see if they were still doing matches & they said yes. Received the email with instructions on what to send, etc. we'll see what they come back with...

15. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please let us know. Curious to know when the match would be good until (Feb 2013 or 2014), given the fact that we are so close to the end of the year.

16. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    I expect (ok, hope) they would match to '14; if they do that, I'll earn the status for '14 & thereafter. No mention of a challenge when I called, so fingers crossed...

17. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I'm not surprised that AA can/will/does match on a case-by-case basis-- a very small handful at this point, I -am- surprised with the way you describe the conversation which sounds like:

caller: "hi, I'm elite on UA-- do you guys match status?" AAdv: "yes, we do"

I've virtually never heard such a report-- with the slight exception of a few, specific periods (and even then, very, very, very rarely like that-- it was a bit more of a "dance" as it were), can you give a few more details of the conversation? And/or what you told them about your purchasing patterns/job description/etc?

18. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I mention "a few, specific periods" here was one, where, in fact, a caller might encounter such a quick, easy "yes"

then this was added:
    And, as we now know, they then had a longer, somewhat broader program later on. But, again, outside of those windows, I've never heard of that answer being volunteered so easily barring specific circumstances, income-profiles,etc.

This thread shows when pro-forma status-matching was ended:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/162457-bunch-new-aadvantage-rumors.html

And here was when they brought back very very limited matching after the above:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3665463-post6.html

19. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just told them that I was a long time UA customer, flew between 110k - 120k miles/yr., that I tend to keep my business with one airline throughout the year wherever possible, and that I was exploring my options to make a change for 2013. I then asked if they had any programs available where they would be willing to match my current UA status. She put me on hold for a minute, then came back & said they would be willing to match.

I specifically asked her if that meant that I would have equivalent status w/AA (I'd heard about others being offered a lower level status in the past) and she said they would match- confirmed again & said "Plat exec" - she confirmed.

Other than the email I received with instructions on what information to provide, I have had no correspondence from them since, so I'm somewhat skeptical myself- believe it when I have the card in hand.

20. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Will be curious to see what turns out.

21. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just got my response. ExPlat with a 25K challenge by 3/31.

I wonder - i have no status with AA now (all volume to date with UA); I've heard they do soft landings - if I don't hit 25K by 3/31, do I go back to zero, or just drop to Plat? Hope I don't have to find out.

22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    25K in four months? They mandated 45k in five months for me, seems a little unfair.

23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you dont meet this really very easy challenge why in the world would AA give you Plat or even Gold for that matter?
    Presumably the challenge was based on your status with another carrier/your potential as a AA flyer so its not unreasonable for them to to expect you to live up to that expectation.

24. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about those majority of EXPs who have to fly 100k miles... now talk about unfair.

malikguy and John777 like this.
  25. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Not suggesting they do. Don't anticipate this being an issue - just always good to know my options.

How ironic that on my last trip with UA today they completely screwed up my ticket (apparently an issue with their new computer system) & 1K desk offered little by way of assistance.