AA Status Match underway

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jslo, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    By calling the AA CS number, 800-882-8880 and getting to a CS agent- AA is currently offering very generous match terms to UA elites. Maybe the most generous ever offered. From what I am hearing it is straight across, no challenge, no cost. Simply send in a copy of your current/valid elite card from UA:
    GS -> Concierge Key
    1K -> Exec Plat
    and on down the ranks.

Status is good through Feb, 2013. Here is a link with more info: AA Status Match

I created this thread as I didn't see one yet, if there is already somewhere >sorry< :)

sobore, Infinite1K, genemk2 and 4 others like this.
  2. palmeiras1000

palmeiras1000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I just call them it works. Lol

3. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    UH oh - now they're going to close your AA account for distributing their email. :)

4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, tough choice. I suspect this is those once-in-a-lifetime things, and AA is horrifically bad out of the SF Bay Area.

I can't recall any recent competitive ex-SFO Europe fares on AA and no service to TPE.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I only had a crystal ball. I left AA to go to Continental after years - heck, DECADES - of arrogance and abuse by AA. CO was wonderful, and the people I have dealt with on every level of customer service since the merger are still great. The problem is that their hands appear to be tightly tied behind their backs. They "want" to resolve problems, but usually can't.

If the AA culture would just change, they are actually more convenient for me. I fly SJO to DFW a lot, and it would be nice if I didn't have to go through Houston every time. But as bad as this new UA is at the moment, I'm scared to death to think about making a switch back. I lived in Dallas all my life until 2007, and I know many fellow Texans who are easily lured into an AA-bashing conversation about the way they treated us for so long.

I'm staying put through the end of the year, as I already have over 80,000 miles booked into just August, but UA better get their act together quickly. The great people that currently work for them will likely sour if they don't, and along with them the customers. Myself definitely included. That AA offer might look pretty darned good by December.

Flyer1976 and EWR764 like this.
  6. palmeiras1000

palmeiras1000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just call AA and they told me this offer is not available any more! That's disgusting

meFIRST likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why disgusting? (besides, it's not over until you have confirmed with at least three agents and a supervisor).

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I read through what must have been 10 pages of posts on FT yesterday and was just wondering when someone would start a thread here. It's really interesting from a FT vs. MP perspective. Different size of community? Different culture?

usaburo likes this.
  9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think part of it is the hivemind. It appears FT has more riled up people, which in-turn rile up those that would otherwise be on the fence.

That said, I met someone at the Kiva DO who swears by AA from SAN, which means they're constantly committed to riding CRJs to LAX. Sadly, I don't think the situation would be any better from SFO. Bummer :(

meFIRST and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    First of all I am looking at completing MM next year... that will make me more of a free agent.

Second, I am too far along this year with what I have flown and booked towards my goal of Platinum. If anything, I'd stop flying revenue for a while and use miles (but see point one).

Third, AA from SFO really doesn't meet my needs at this time.

Fourth, I think it's too early for me to give up on UA (and the issues I have faced have been relatively minor)

Fifth, if everyone leaves UA, maybe some nice promo will come along (not the 25k RDM one) to bring them back or keep the rest of us from jumping ship.

scf likes this.
  11. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was wondering the same thing. Think FT has a significantly larger, and somewhat more confrontational, community.

Believe that the status match offer is still good, perhaps all AA agents don't know about it yet - for those interested, just try again.

Interesting as the status match is, will wait for slight chance that it will still be around in June (when matched status should last for the rest of 2012 and all of 2013). If this deal isn't around, and if UA doesn't mend its wicked ways, probably will pursue an AA challenge in Jan. 2013, so I'd have some status while earning status.

One of the interesting aspects of many posters on the "other" board was their report of the courtesy of the AA agents. I realized I miss that part. Since 3/3, most interactions w/ UA phone agents have been difficult. Many such calls have been difficult before then, e.g., since April of last year award tickets were upgrade eligible if certain credit cards were used and most phone and gate and lounge agents knew nothing of this and were not inclined to check if I might be right.

US/AA merging is another factor to consider. Will the larger program (AA's) or the buyer's (US) prevail?

UA has removed much of what made 1K special for me:
    can't have a friend/relative on a different pnr in E+ until day of departure (my SO's sister was in confirmed F w/ us on MSY-iah-LIM, thanks to my CR1, but MSY-iah went Q400, now she's in the back of the plane and I was asked to pay for the privilege of putting her in E+)
    upgrades to/from IAD don't happen - am typically #22 or so on the upgrade list, perhaps due to Y govt fares,
    increased cost of SWU upgradeable fares & reduced likelihood of getting the upgrade.
    UA's generally excellent handling of irrops is probably history
    when there's trouble on a reservation - lost seats, not on upgrade list, phone agents generally are dismissive, saying take care of it at the airport (when there won't be any good seats or upgrades left).

Can AA be any worse?

12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm like totally what-ever. People I know on that other forum, FT, who live in places that AA doesn't serve, and fly routes that AA does not fly, have applied for a match. And been approved. If its useful, sure, but its to the point of crazy.
    The airline is in Chap 11.

The way I see it, most of these folks on FT are bottom feeders, its probably better that they leave UA.

Sidenote : I'm seriously considering retiring from FT permanently. Its gone totally de-classe.
    Case in point ,

I've been a member since 2000. It was a different place back then. The UA regulars were Gaucho100K and OzStamps, cova on the CO side. Is he uava now?

Confrontational drama queens. FT should require people list their ages and profession, some people on FT have too much time.

Gaucho, Flyer1976 and CO777DAL like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I "retired" over a year ago and just lurk on occasions for the entertainment value (okay, sometimes I also find a useful nugget of information that doesn't pop up here... e.g., if I was living in Chicago, I might have been interested in this status match offer that somehow didn't make it to these shores until a few hours ago.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  14. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Offer is still available - just called and asked for it :). Already have my 100k on UA this year - might as well try to see if the grass is greener.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, they're keeping it classy over on FT. :rolleyes:
    I'm "unavaca" on FT, as well. No other names. :)

meFIRST likes this.
  16. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rarely go to the other board either any more. In fact, I go less to boards in general- I think as a result of knowing more and seeking info less. But then I remember the good old FT days where info was plenty and the insights keen- and I come to MP to try and contribute and give back as it were. Sadly I agree, I have to sort through an awful lot of drivel "over there" to glean much of anything. :(

meFIRST likes this.
  17. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One poster says he's going to create a fake GS account and now Flyertalk is de-classe? Talk about drama. :rolleyes:

Most folks on Flyertalk are bottom feeders? Come on.

Ozstamps? Oh brother. :eek:

Now I'm guilty of being a drama queen.

18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    United finally pushed me over the edge today, so I called American to make the switch. It's only for 1K or GS. We lowly Platinums aren't welcome. I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'll probably be 1K this year if I keep flying these #&%$ards, but I really don't want to spend another penny with them. It took American 26 years to make me mad enough to leave, and my attempt to switch reaffirmed my decision, but what's left? ::heavy sigh::

19. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a rough place over there these days. Between the vitriolic anti-CO sentiment, the neverending "I'm Leaving United" threads (that all seem to say the same thing, yet gather 20+ pages every time with dozens of posts from the same players) and moderators actively engaging in the mud-slinging, it's just not a particularly useful resource anymore. I realize there are serious problems with the merger, but there's no way a rational person can read that kind of emotion-filled invective and conclude that the users are in any way representative of the frequent-traveling public. Despite their best efforts, they ultimately marginalize themselves by tolerating that kind of nonsense! :eek:

Good thing there's MP!

Bad experience in the last 4 hours?

Jslo, desamo and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  20. coflyer2

coflyer2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called and they told me they are no longer offering a status match.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Earlier today the story was that they only offered it to 1Ks and GS (but had stopped offering it for Plat, Gold, Silver). Are you 1K or higher?

22. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Offer still good; called & got the offer! Thanks Suzanne & AA! [edit: I'm 1K]

Flyer1976 and Jslo like this.
  23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what did Ozstamps do over on FT that I missed...???

24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I'm flying SJO-IAH-DFW-IAH-SJO next week. The buy-up option has been present since my reservation was confirmed, offering the outbound upgrade at $296, the return at $287. I'm flying out with my elderly, Alzheimer's-stricken father, so I had already purchased BC for him. Wanting to spread out the expense, I purchased the outbound first, intending to return later to buy the return upgrade.

The instant that I bought the outbound, the return went from $287 to $327. I had noticed this happening before, but it had happened on flights where I had not planned to purchase the upgrade in the other direction. Today I wanted to buy the return upgrade, so I called the Platinum desk for assistance. The agent said that the $327 was correct. I asked to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor was uncharacteristically cold for a UA supervisor, and she refused to adjust the price back for me.

Why in the world do they penalize a passenger for splitting the upgrades? I wrote a letter to Smisek asking for an explanation, and urging him not to just fix my complaints, "but rather to fix the transformation of what were once two very fine airlines into one giant bully corporation." Who knows how or even if he will reply.

This is not the only negative thing that has happened to me recently. It was just the last straw. I'm really sad and frustrated. I loved flying CO, and I believe from reading posts here that United was great as well. Not anymore.

25. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. No clue if they're offering it for lower tiers; however, if you're silver/gold, I'm not sure AA is that compelling of a program at the moment.