AA Shortcut Elite Status Challenge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Robin, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    This offer has been around for a while, but still valid. AA offers quick Gold or Platinum Status to those who register and make the AA Elite Status Challenge. It used to be free but now there is a fee to sign up.

AA Elite Status Challenge:
    - fly 5,000 EQP in 90 days earns Gold Status
    - fly 10,000 EQP in 90 days earns Platinum Status.

How to:
    - Call 800-882-8880 before flying to register
    - $120 fee to register for Gold challenge status
    - $200 fee to register for Platinum challenge status

Earning EQP:
    - Check code fares. Challenge Miles are based on EQP (elite qualifying points) not EQM (elite qualifying miles).
    - Some of the discount fare codes Q,S,O,N.G only earn you .5 points per miles
    - See the tables at aa.com for the number of points that you will earn for the various booking classes.
    - Must fly on AA coded flights.

Notes:
    - No refunds if you don’t reach your mileage goal in 90 days
    - According to if you sign up for Gold Challenge and reach 10,000 EQP call AA and if you pay the fee difference they’ll upgrade to Platinum. (Double check I’ve read elsewhere this is not true)
    - According to agent if you sign up for Platinum Challenge but only reach 5,000 EQP call AA they’ll give you Gold status but won’t refund the fee difference. (Double check I’ve read elsewhere this is not true)
    - Cannot be used to maintain status, must lose it first.
    - Cannot be used to regain status within the same year.

More info can be found at: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing for "Premium" you really mean "Platinum"?

Robin and yosithezet like this.
  3. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be perfect if you had a job where you would be flying regularly but might not hit status for a couple months.

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the challenge a few years ago (before the fees were imposed) when I took a job in a new city and knew it would be 9-10 months before my wife found a job and we could move. Trips to/fro every week or two - nice to have status almost from the start. Easily requalified for PLT status on both EQMs and segments. Jumped to EXP a year or so later with a new job that had me traveling bicoastal.

5. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also evidence repeat challenges are not being allowed soon after flying one, or sometimes even later - one flyer I know challenged for Platinum, repurchased status the following year, fell back to Gold, repurchased status, and then attempted to sign up for a challenge after losing status; that flyer was told "you are not allowed and your record has been red-flagged".

The idea was to allow those coming to AA with a potential to become genuinely frequent flyers a "short cut" to earn status and continue flying to earn status the normal way. AA had been quite liberal at one time, as there was no cost involved and repeat challenges were allowed, but they are tightening up considerably.

Also note: beginning a challenge prior to June 16 will earn status only until the last day of the next February; beginning a challenge June 16 or later in the year will provide status that will last 12 months beyond that (one more full status year).

And, yep, "Premium" should be read as "Platinum" in the OP.

geclub1 likes this.
  6. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I currently do not have elite status with AA, and sign up for the challenge, will I instantly have elite status while doing the challenge?

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure that no, you won't.

8. geclub1
    Original Member

geclub1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No on AA. Yes on UA's challenge program.

MyMiles&Points likes this.