AA: SFO - ?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by vanderjas, Jul 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vanderjas

vanderjas Member

Status Points:
    Haven't done a mileage run for a couple of years. Back based out of SFO and looking to get some good AA miles. Any leads?

daninstl likes this.
  2. wto605

wto605 Member

Status Points:
    Everything comes and goes so quickly anymore, I'd recommend keeping an eye on "the flight deal" (google it, I can't post links).

Depending on how long of a run you're looking for they just posted something about cheap fares US-ZRH (and some other european airport, I forget which)

daninstl likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer talk has a good thread on this. I don't like that forum as well as Milepoint but it does have some good stuff at times. I don't like Twitter much but there is a good Twitter feed @mileagerundeals I think it is.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very rare for mileage runs to cost less than 4 cents per mile these days. Unless your credit is completely in the toilet, you can manufacture spend for cheaper than that (generate mileage at 1 cent per mile or less). If your credit is in the toilet, you can still outright buy miles from airlines for cheaper than that (anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 cents per mile). Right now AA and US are selling miles (US is cheaper at around 2 cents per mile but there are nuances to their program you should understand before making a purchase, and in general you should understand ANY program rules and benefits/downsides before buying/manufacturing miles).

Mileage running is dead as a way to get cheap miles, and at current prices and with the move in the industry to status requiring minimum spend (in other word, just flying cheap fares doesn't get you status, you need to spend a minimum of thousands of dollars on your flights), there's an argument to be made that unless you have natural travel patterns anyway, or are almost at a threshold where a small investment pays off big (like being close to AA EXP), there is not much point in mileage running for status. Airlines will sell you upgrades, discounted first class, and elite status perks without you sitting for extra time in the aluminum tube, so why waste your time paying for mileage run flights when you can just upgrade the flights you would normally take with the same money?

What is your goal in mileage running out of SFO? It's very possible there's a good way to reach it that doesn't involve sitting in the aluminum tube...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Lionell and WilliamQ like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you like flying itself.. Some like myself do enjoy the experience of flying and like any hobbies, some spent is required and the rewards is elite status? :) Spent based reward miles are the biggest deterrent though.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that and it is a considerably more expensive hobby than it was a few years ago, and it is cheaper now to acquire miles NOT through flying and burn them on premium travel experiences, if that is your thing. I find the benefits of elite status replaceable with money and sufficient willingness to be disloyal to all but my wallet. I end up with it (AS MVPG) out of an accident of location (SEA) and the fact that AS status allows me to fly a lot of airlines for status, but I just got back from a *A trip involving NH, SQ, TG and OZ C and F that involved no elite status... and no tedious mileage running drinking whatever it is UA serves for coffee these days. ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Travelsavant likes this.
  7. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO-DFW is cheap now $196 for 3K EQM on AA work sameday return.

Travelsavant likes this.