AA scaling back at GNV.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Italy98, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rising fuel costs led to higher airfare and lower ridership for newcomer American Eagle Airline at Gainesville's Regional Airport. Bringing a third airline has been a twenty year effort that was realized last October and it's increased the number of people flying through GNV. But six months later after they came to Gainesville, American Eagle's ridership has struggled to get off the ground. This summer American Eagle will scale back and offer just one flight a day on a fifty seat jet instead of their current two flights a day on 65 seat planes.

Wurm likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! Any chance you can link us to the source of the information?

Wurm likes this.
  3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  5. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm one reason here. Never knew AA was at GNV and GNV is my closest and preferred airport. Except usually high fares push me toJAX, MCO or TPA. Never had a chance to check the AA fares to see if they would draw me.

6. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typical for FLorida. I dispute "Bringing a third airline has been a twenty year effort that was realized last October." ...Continental flew from GNV for a while roughly 3 to 6 years ago but poor booking chased them away, too. Plus, IIR they only flew to MIA and not to a CO hub??? (don't quote me on this latter).

As to AA, with only one or two departures a day (where to?) they couldn't compete with DL and US with 5 to 7 each.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, CO operated on the MIA-GNV route. AA has in the past as well. And NW used to serve GNV-MEM at one point.

The headline really should include the word "again" as this is hardly an uncommon sequence of events. GNV is pretty poorly served but there just isn't enough demand that cannot be met with much lower fares ex-JAX/MCO/TPA to have another competitor show up with real volume of service.
    Not much of a surprise...they were never really known for quality reporting.

8. dartboard
    Original Member

dartboard Active Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I was excited about the GNV service when it was announced, but the afternoon flight to MIA leaves at 3:15 and there was no way I could justify losing almost half a day by taking that flight over US at 7:45.

9. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The article was written by the morning news anchor for a local TV stations, which I believe is used as a springboard for communication/journalism students at UF to get a better job.

The AA reduction is similar to DL flying into ILG from ATL. Poorly advertised and I felt there should also have been svc to CVG. After less than one year DL ceased the route.

I agree with Pharaoh about using JAX where DL fares a almost $200 less than GNV.

IIRC, CO did fly to TPA, while NW agreed to service at GNV if jetways were installed. NW, less than three years after service started pulled out as the projected capacity did not materialize.