AA says goodbye to BRU

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ecleppe, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ecleppe

ecleppe Silver Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines has decided to stop all their activities on Brussels airport.
    Their last flight to JFK will take off on November 5th.

They were my first intercontinental flight *wink*

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sad to see it go. I took AA to BRU last year.

One less dot on the map.

3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad to see AA retrenching even more.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if they merge with US Airways that's one less station to worry about combining...

Aktchi, jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should add that I feel like the "black widow" of AA routes. Just about every international route I've flown in the past year or two has tanked on AA's end. DEL. BRU. FRA. Perhaps AA should just ban me from flying? :confused:

In case anyone was waiting for official confirmation from AA, they did respond to my request for info on Twitter and confirmed that services are ending Nov 6:

Screen Shot 2012-08-14 at 1.34.41 PM.png

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are welcome to keep writing about AA, but could you please switch your flying to UA or BA instead? :D

jbcarioca, Flyer1976 and legalalien like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or perhaps you can all pay me to fly routes you hate. ;)

jbcarioca, Aktchi and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get a change to fly this one...oh well, there are other birds in the air I guess. :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know your black widower role is primarily on *international* AA routes, but still - much as we'd like to see you - don't you DARE fly Eagle ORD - ICT or AA DFW - ICT, ya hear? :)

BRU was the destination of my first-ever international flight, though in 1967 that airport wasn't even a gleam in Mr. C.R. Smith's eye!

(I'd almost be willing to bet that I'm the only one on here who's flown nonstop BDL - BRU, but one never knows about jbcarioca - he's done everything!)

10. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh, we just flew from BRU to JFK on Sunday. Four of us in economy including a 4-yo as no Business MileSAAver awards ever opened up. :( The seats on that plane were worn and really squished together. They ran out of the chicken in the row in front of us, leaving us with mushroom ravioli. :eek: At least the crew were nice. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad news. Another alterantive to the London Zoo (Heathrow) gone.

Really liked those LHR-BRU stints AA would do when it needed to decrease transatlantic traffic to/from LHR in the winter yet keep their LHR gates.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming this was a profitability-related decision, it makes me happy to see (what would appear to be) reasonable bottom-line-oriented decisions getting taken.

BRU is a fairly small market.

13. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA metal coverage to Europe is already pretty abysmal (and Asia practically non-existent) compared to DL and UA, sad to see them headed further in this direction. If God forbid they would ever expand fuel surcharge collection on awards to more partners, there would be a lot less value on the award redemption side.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I gather you're the reason AA pulled out of Burbank then everyone else raised fares ;).

LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and Aktchi like this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Clearly I'm a route assassin.

harvson3, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. But is it?

UA up-gauged service earlier in the year, changing to a 3-cabin aircraft from the 2-cabin 772 which used to fly it regularly. SN has added a 2-cabin A330 this past summer. Maybe the increased capacity has forced negative trends on the yields. Or maybe UA/SN have better feed at both end and their joint participation in the A++ ATI allows them to effectively push out competition on the route (though 9W is still flying BRU-EWR, having cut BRU-JFK).

I wonder how much of it is that BRU is a small market and how much of it is that AA cannot compete with the feed they have.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown JFK-BRU but taht was on an airline that died long ago, Sabena. BRU is a pretty europhilic place (I wonder why) so US carriers never have a chance there I'd guess. As for BDL I have flown in there a few times, but never on anything larger than a Piper Seneca. As for your kind words, I'm still trying to do everything but I fear I'll never get close.

Finally, AA is fairly systematically putting resources where the revenue are, so LA keep having more and more additions, and OW partners are more and more integrated where they're stronger. I have no argument with those prorates. I do worry that david might come visit and cause us to lose our service, so maybe we should visit him instead.
    I can think of a few. For now maybe you can just not fly to GIG at all :rolleyes: we'll arrange ground transportation for you from GRU when you decide to visit Rio:cool:

LETTERBOY, kansaskeith and Aktchi like this.
  18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first international flight, BDL - BRU, was on a WO Boeing 707 packed to the gills, obviously in an all-Y configuration, with high-school exchange students and their adult counselors. Not even sure the thing had fan-jet engines. I remember feeling the BDL runway concrete expansion joints as we rolled, and rolled, and rolled, on the take-off roll, and wondering if we would get airborne before the end of the runway. (Answer, yes.) Ah, memories.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    World acquired B707's in the late 1960's and IIRC all were with P&W JT3D engines, a fanjet. The original 707's produced before 1961 had JT3C's which were a pure jet version of the same engine. Many/most of the DC-8's and B707's equipped with the older engines were converted to the fanjets during the late 1960's.
    Facts courtesy of :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_707
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Airways
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_&_Whitney_JT3D

20. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this is the case, we'd all appreciate it if you could just stay at home for the next few decades. Thanks.

21. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    i had booked a JFK-BRU-DUB flight for November. anyone know when AA will be able to rebook me? i have called and they tell me its not in the system yet. is JFK-LHR-DUB my only realistic option?

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your objective is to avoid LHR for transfer, usually a wise move, they can rebook you on IB via MAD. Connections there are easy, the IB lounge in T4S is quite nice but there is no free wifi:eek: I still transfer there in preference to LHR. Any other connections will probably be with at least one leg non OW.

23. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are now serious questions as to if the info you were given by AA via Twitter was accurate.

I searched your tweets-- do you still see that tweet by @americanair?

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If I go through my feed I do still see the tweet from @AmericanAir, so I don't believe they deleted it.

I did see the post on your site noting inventory is back up for the flight.

Edited to Add: Here's a LINK I believe should work that leads to the tweet in question.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes-- thanks very much for the correction (of my impression that he tweet had been deleted.)

I wasn't the one that discovered the flight was back on sale (inventory re-populated after being zero'd out for a couple of days) but I am reading with great interest as everyone else is, I'm sure. As of now, best I can tell, the fight is decidedly NOT on the list of changes to be loaded this weekend.

So, in short, very unclear what the status is at this point. With a gun to my head I'd say, at this juncture, "looks like not cancelled after all"-- but I sure wouldn't bet money either way.

jbcarioca and DestinationDavid like this.