AA RT pricing: Moving forwards to go backwards

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by 7Continents, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I "get" the round trip pricing on the AA website. What I don't get is when you start crazy positive, then start mixing in multi thousand dollar negatives on the return choices and end up with math that doesn't work well. I got so frustrated I went over to BA and purchased my AA tickets from them.
    Try JFK-BUD in J in July. You get an $8,000 price RT on the outbounds, then when you go to the returns you get $X,000 negatives for pricing, all leading to a ridiculous final price. This without mixing classes of service.
    Can anyone explain this as a glitch or is this a new era of pricing where prices need red ink to handle negatives during searches?

2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA.com is not a good place to research your options. For that I go to external sites like EF, ITA, Seat Guru/Expert, etc., depending on what is involved. Then I go to AA.com to execute my choices.

3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Welcome to the new American"

sorry, couldn't help it.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're trying to compete with Delta for "Least Reliably Functional Website."

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, they both have frustrating purchase experiences, but AA wins in this round for RT pricing with its negative pricing madness, lack of filters, and obfuscation of fare code without clicks.

The only consumers that expect negative prices during purchase are probably accountants and economists :)

Mike Reed likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It makes me want to back out, switch to one way and book the return they're willing to pay me to take. :)

7Continents and basiface like this.