AA Revenue Ticket on QF Codeshare: Seat Assignments

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Jul 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Trying to help out a business associate who has a ticket that he purchased from AA for QF codeshare flights LAX-SYD and SYD-DFW. He hasn't been able to get seating assignments for his flights from either AA or QF. I thought he would have to get them from QF, so I figured maybe he just got an agent that didn't know what they were talking about.

I tried calling QF and got the same reply. The QF agent told me that I needed to call AA for the seat assignment, which doesn't sound right to me either. He's booked in Q. I did some searching through the forum and couldn't find any clear indication of whether he's entitled to a seat assignment or not.

2. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used AA miles for a flight on HA. I had to get the seat assignments from HA. Since he was ticketed, will he/she have to call back QF? Do you have anything that shows he/she was ticketed. I had to give the six digit HA confirmation letters. I remember having some problems, but got seat assignments after a little persistence. Haven't dealt with QF yet.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's the thing, I can't see any QF confirmation #. I don't have enough experience with this to know whether he should have one.

4. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think AA gave me the HA confirmation and then I called. It may take a few days for AA to get the confirmation. It showed on AA.com under my upcoming flights for a short while (maybe a week). Its been too long for my memory. But I can see I have a reservation with seats when I go to the HA site and use their confirmation code.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is he a OW elite? QF charges for advanced seat selection if you aren't at the right elite levels.

Regardless, as hinted at above, you should be able to get the record locator from AA for QF and use that on the QF website or call. I've always used the QF website for seat selection.

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to get QF PNR by calling either AA or QF. Emphasize that you want the QF PNR and don't bring up anything else, like seat selection. :)

7. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is bringing back my nervous tick from when I tried to get seat assignments for my AA booked JAL flight from Tokyo to Singapore. I tried ahead of time, I tried in DFW where the trip began, I tried in the AA lounge, I tried when I landed in Tokyo the night before the connecting flight. I wasn't able to get seats until that next morning a few hours before my flight. I hope you have better luck than I did. (they were actually very nice once they did assign me a seat, and even blocked the middle seat since the flight wasn't very full)

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was able to get the QF PNR pretty easily, then punted back to the guy actually flying to do the rest of the heavy lifting. :p

He just qualified for AA gold but I couldn't find anything that said whether Ruby qualified for free seating assignments on QF. At any rate, thanks to everyone for weighing in.

It would be nice to confirm for informational purposes what the actual AA privileges are on QF. Something for me to spend a little time researching (or, get lazy and ask Ryan Bingham and storyteller).

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    QF's seating selection webpage includes this, so it seems he would qualify since QF SIlver is equivalent to OW Ruby:

3. Preferential seating zones exist for Platinum, Gold or Silver Frequent Flyers, equivalent oneworld members and any passenger travelling with you in the same booking.