AA Response To Post About Award Wallet

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MLW20, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wrote a post about AA Forces Award Wallet to Discontinue Extensionearlier today.

A couple of hours ago I received an e-mail from Alan Phillips of Weber Shandwick, the PR firm for American Airlines. Mr. Phillips wrote to me responding to my post regarding AA and the Award Wallet extension.

I did not expect to get a response from AA regarding Award Wallet when I made my post but am really glad that I did. I'd say that pretty much everyone is taking sides with Award Wallet so why not hear AA's thoughts on this matter. It's always nice to hear both sides to a story!

Read the full post at http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-received-response-from-aa-regarding.html

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wouldn't this be better in the existing thread on the topic of AwardWallet and AA's policy toward it? Many members may have bookmarked or "followed" the thread and are expecting the updates there.

Good to see AA reaching out, even if they aren't giving people the answers they want to hear I suppose.

3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I debated where this belonged and thought the AA thread was a better place. If you feel it is better grouped with Award Wallet is there a way to move it?

alohastephen and Espan like this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There you go getting in trouble with AA..... :)

alohastephen likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    is there a summary of the AA response?

alohastephen and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    MLW20 likes this.
  7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want any trouble with AA... I love their miles :)

alohastephen likes this.
  8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    S**T LISTED! :) lol you'll be zeroed out tomrw!!

alohastephen likes this.
  9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't give them any ideas! I never took sides or did I?

alohastephen and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    nope, you were impartial...just the facts ma'am.....

alohastephen and MLW20 like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    alohastephen likes this.
  12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thats where the AA reply is. I know Michael, you can trust his content.

alohastephen, gemac and MLW20 like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I meant the AwardWallet thread *in* the AA forum. ;)

We've got a long thread about the battle between the two just a few threads down. If you want to have it moved just push the "Report" button on your original post and ask to have it merged. If you want it to stay stand alone, let it fly. :)

14. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not the answer I wanted to hear. Kudos to AW. The extension had been working seemlessly.

15. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA's position sounds entirely reasonable, based on the following:

MLW20 likes this.
  16. GreyedOut
    Original Member

GreyedOut Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if banks took the same stance when scraping sites like mint.com first came about as well. It seems pretty onerous to deal with multiple institutions each having their own varying requirements.

TheBeerHunter and gemac like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it (I never used it), the browser extension did everything locally on your PC. It stored the AA credentials locally, used your browser and network connection to fetch data from AA.com, and simply displayed it together with the rest of the data (other loyalty programs) retrieved from AwardWallet. So if that's a correct description, the above concern simply doesn't apply.

18. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Poor form from AA, and even worse form they are using outsourced PR machine to try and somehow justify their position :rolleyes:

19. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't seem all that reasonable to me. If I voluntarily sign up for a service and provide my user name and password, I'm accepting certain risks. It's not AAs place to say what risks I'll take with my miles. Are they next going to come to my house and office to make sure I didn't write my password down somewhere?

The least they could do is let me pick a username so I don't have to have my AA card with me when I go to login. I'm fact, I don't know where my AA card is, so I'm going to have to email them to get my number, which means my number will be on a google server that AA has no idea what type of security is used. But they certainly don't have any problems with that. Why not? Because this is about money and control, not about security.

20. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA isn't allowing AwardWallet to use someone's Frequent Flier number and password, the individual AAdvantage member is allowing that. The member should be able to make that decision without a nanny airline making it for him.

21. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the end I feel it boils down to $ not security. AA says that they are working with other third party sites to make them secure for tracking. I am guessing something is in it for AA to do this for them.

LETTERBOY and autolycus like this.
  22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, serious question for all FF programs, not just American.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to designate a secondary password that allowed view-only access? For example, my husband and I don't share our passwords on anything, basically, but it'd be nice to know how many miles he has or prevent mileage expiry. It'd be nice to have a secondary password for read-only purposes for that kind of thing.

That would solve both AA's and AwardWallet's problems, no?

23. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow really you don't share password with your husband? I know this is OT, but I do find that odd. Isn't marriage based on trust? I guess this would veer way off topic, but I don't have a bank or brokerage account that my wife doesn't have access to and vice versa, let alone something as mundane as mileage.

Travelman, schnitzel and MLW20 like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fundamental problem has already been solved, and it doesn't require a second password.

http://oauth.net/about/

Many luxury cars today come with a valet key. It is a special key you give the parking attendant and unlike your regular key, will not allow the car to drive more than a mile or two. Some valet keys will not open the trunk, while others will block access to your onboard cell phone address book. Regardless of what restrictions the valet key imposes, the idea is very clever. You give someone limited access to your car with a special key, while using your regular key to unlock everything.
    Everyday new website offer services which tie together functionality from other sites. A photo lab printing your online photos, a social network using your address book to look for friends, and APIs to build your own desktop application version of a popular site. These are all great services – what is not so great about some of the implementations available today is their request for your username and password to the other site. When you agree to share your secret credentials, not only you expose your password to someone else (yes, that same password you also use for online banking), you also give them full access to do as they wish. They can do anything they wanted – even change your password and lock you out.
    This is what OAuth does, it allows the you the User to grant access to your private resources on one site (which is called the Service Provider), to another site (called Consumer, not to be confused with you, the User). While OpenID is all about using a single identity to sign into many sites, OAuth is about giving access to your stuff without sharing your identity at all (or its secret parts).

Every little startup is using this, but we're talking about airlines here, with IT systems and websites that date back to the previous millennium.

25. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was my understanding as well, though I'm certainly not an expert. Assuming AA really does have some "rigorous" process of verifying third party security, have they provided AW with the areas that fall short? If so is AW willing to make whatever changes are supposedly necessary?

My biggest issue with AA's argument is that so much can be done with only my AAdvantage number, not even needing my online password. And so many third parties already are provided with my AA number when I order flowers, dine, buy things, etc. Are they suggesting that every one of the retail, financial, and other partners has passed AA's "rigorous software audit"? What about snail-mailings that have my AA number on them? A BP stub that blows out of my hand walking to the aircraft?

For that matter, how do I really know, as a consumer and layman, how secure AA.com is - or that it is any more secure than any other site with a tie-in to AA?

Jeff the Wanderer and autolycus like this.