AA Refunds

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by flyforawg, Jan 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was interesting getting a refund for an unused refundable ticket. Very easy. Wondering if they're using the US code to handle.

Requested a refund online for an unused AA ticket. Next day received an automated notice of refund approval from US e-mail. The amount and information were all correct. Following day received a similar e-mail from AA.

Glad the process was quick and painless.

Lesson learned was wait until the day after you cancel to make the request. Requesting same day results in an error. A call to the web services group lead to an unhelpful/unknowledgeable person who insisted the ticket was not refundable. Waiting until the next day resolved the error.

zphelj and MX like this.
  2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think many transactions happen in batch mode overnight. Curious: Did you use the AA web site to request this? I'm confused because of the US and AA email references.

flyforawg likes this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did use the AA website. That's the interesting thing about that information. Makes me wonder if they are using the US refund engine behind the scenes. From things I've read I heard the old AA refund system was archaic. Perhaps they found a more modern method with the US IT department.

This doesn't mean AA was difficult on purpose, but being the older and more mature system, I realize it can be harder to adapt as your systems sometimes have legacy code that can't be worked around. But I'm babbling.

The website is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

The document number is the ticket number if you use this feature.

One last data point, like most companies they qualify by saying it can take up to two billing cycles, but I saw the refund credited within two business days. Very pleased with how the process worked.

zphelj likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, US regulations require that the credit be issued in no more than 7 days from when it is properly requested. The two billing cycles thing is an archaic leftover from the concept that a refund requested today and issued 3 days hence could "miss" the billing cycle which closes tomorrow. But now we can check statements in real-time online so that's less an issue.

If it takes longer than 7 days file a DoT complaint.

As for the suggestion that the US systems are newer and more capable of handling refunds, that's going to upset a lot of SHARES haters over at UA. :oops: