AA Redemption Now Available on Etihad Airways (EY)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    EDITED TO ADD: Lots of questions about the how to book All-Partner Awards in terms of rules and requirements. Here is a LINK to the Flyerguide outline on these types of awards.

LINK to AA Etihad page.

LINK to AA press release.

Awards are priced on the All-Partner chart.

As noted on some other sites, this provides a nice alternative to BA and its YQ on some routes where people are looking for F space. Opens up more availability to MLE and SEZ.....

LINK to Wikipedia list of EY destinations.

Happy redeeming to all!

2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Put DEL-AUH-JFK on hold in J for 2 pax (no F seats available). 67.5K miles + $25 in taxes each.

Debating between this and DEL-LHR-FRA-JFK on Virgin Atlantic + LH F. Good problems to have :)

3. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, just like CX, I can book one way award right? And no stopover at AUH?
    This is really great news. Open up so much more possibilities to SE Asia, and not have to rely on CX alone.

jbcarioca and Quasiconvexity like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Would be two awards to go to SE Asia though, unlike CX.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  6. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. So I got too excited prematurely. Is there any way to get around the 2 awards NA - Asia problem? Can I fly another partner to Europe and from there fly EY to Europe-AUH-Asia in 1 award?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, you'd still be going Europe to Middle East, and then Middle East to Asia 1/Asia 2, so two awards.

You'd have to start in the Middle East to make it one award. Or you can just fly to the Maldives, which are considered Middle East/Indian subcontinent on the AA award chart, but is still a nice beach destination.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    how can i go YYZ to ATH? Is it possible with stop in AUH? cant figure it out. not a whiz with iTA matrix and cant get it to show on OW map (which is generally never helpful to me)

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    YYZ-ATH on EY would also be two awards: NA to Middle East, Middle East to Europe.

AA awards only allow stops at the NA gateway city, so any award you do that stops in AUH would become two awards.

You can't get it to show on the OW map because EY is not a OW member, just a partner with AA.

Since these are All-Partner awards using AA miles, all the typical rules and regulations apply. Here is a good link that outlines those rules and requirements on the Flyerguide: LINK. I edited the original post to add this link since so many questions about booking these awards, and I don't blame people, EY seems like a good partner for awards!

10. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ah ha.
    what about JFK-AUH-ATH?

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what you mean?

12. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's an Etihad route map: http://openflights.org/airline/ey

Also note that you can search for Etihad awards using the ANA web site, just as if you were searching for a Star Alliance award. Etihad is one of the options in their single-airline award search function.

chanp and Quasiconvexity like this.
  13. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    can you get from JFK to ATH on EY award? and if so would it be 2 awards?

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can do it, but two awards. JFK is in North America, just like YYZ, so same issue. ;)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't you need miles in your ANA account to search for awards? If so, people can just sign up for an Etihad FF account to search.

16. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hasn't everyone accrued token mileage in an ANA account so they can search for Star Alliance awards? ;)

17. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    so i am failing to see the big advantage here. EY only flies from JFK/YYZ/ORD to AUH
    going anywhere farther than AUH will be a double award?

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless you're going to popular destinations in the Middle East or India zone, where previously BA was the only partner with an F cabin. Now you can redeem without massive YQ.

Not to mention EY is rated as one of the world's top airlines. Many are excited to try their service.

But yes, if you want to go to Europe or Asia on one award you'll have to use AA or its European and Asian partners.

19. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am still doing the math on this. If you're ALREADY in Europe, flying FROM London, Frankfurt, etc. then booking Europe to anywhere other than Abu Dabi is two awards, no?

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct, based on AA's award chart this is 2 awards. From the Flyerguide LINK in the first post on All Partner awards:

NOTE: Travel via a third region
    • Travel via a third region is not allowed (Note the exception table below).
    [edit]​
    Routing exceptions

• Connection in Europe allowed when traveling between North America and the Indian Sub-Continent / Middle East.
    • Connection in Europe allowed when traveling between North America and Africa.
    • Connection in Europe allowed when traveling between Central / South America Zone 1 and the Indian Sub-Continent / Middle East.
    • Connection in Europe allowed when traveling between Central / South America Zone 1 and Africa.
    • Connection in Europe allowed when traveling between South America 2 and the Indian Sub-Continent / Middle East.
    • Connection in Asia 1 allowed when traveling between North America and Asia 2.
    • Connection in Asia 2 allowed when traveling between the Indian Sub-continent / Middle East and Asia 1.
    • Connection in Asia 2 allowed when traveling between Asia 1 and Africa.
    • Connection in Asia 2 allowed when traveling between Asia 1 and Europe.
    • Connection in Asia 2 allowed when traveling between Asia 1 and South Pacific.
    • Connection in Asia 2 allowed when traveling between Asia 1 and the Indian Sub-continent / Middle East.
    • Connection in Asia 2 allowed when traveling between the Indian Sub-Continent / Middle East and the South Pacific.
    • Connection in South America 2 allowed when traveling between Central / South America Zone 1 and the South Pacific.
    • Connection in the Asia 2 airport of Singapore or Bangkok (or possibly in addition, the Asia 1 airport of Tokyo Narita or Osaka) allowed when traveling between Europe and the South Pacific.

21. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought when I read those, just making sure I wasn't missing something. Would like to see a routing exception like "Connection in Indian Sub-Ccontinent/Middle East allowed when travelling between Europe and .... " , but that's probably dreaming, unrealistically, at this point.

22. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat related, I am finding that while EY site shows J award available for ORD-AUH on Dec 2 and 3, AA reps say they can;t see it. So Etihad is releasing a different inventory to partners like AA?

23. moun10addict

moun10addict Active Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I'm pretty sure I understand this correctly, but want to make sure. Going from LOS-SEZ would require two separate award bookings because it would have to route through AUH even though LOS and SEZ are in the same region. Is that right? If so, that stinks. There is no other way I can find to get from LOS to SEZ using AA or BA miles.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's correct. One of the weak points in the oneworld alliance is movement within Africa. BA offers a few options but it's centered in southern Africa and hardly comprehensive.

Partnering with additional airlines outside the alliance (like EY) helps, but the AA routing rules don't allow for this to be booked as a single award.

Welcome to MP, btw. :)

25. moun10addict

moun10addict Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, David! I appreciate the clarity, and the warm welcome to MilePoint!