AA Reaching LT Gold- Bonus Choices

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MLW20, Nov 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 35k option has ben been publicized by AA from the very inception of the offical announcement of the MM program
    and there are lots of reports of members already exercising such. The ony exception to rule is that none of the apparently " specifically designated complementary 500 upgrades" can be used before requesting the 35k miles.
    In other words you cannot use say two of the awarded upgrades, purchase two to replace them and then call AA to have them converted to miles.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I reached gold a couple months back & did not receive any upgrades (or miles) is there a link someone can show me so I can call AA? Thanks.

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Willie please clarify as this could affect what you receive: did you reach "Gold" or "Lifetime Gold" a couple months back? Thnks.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presumeably you meant you crossed over the 1MM threshold (and if you have a NA address) the upgrades should be visible when you log into aa.com and go to your Advantage page
    If not there call AA and ask to be connected the Advantage Customer Service.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    too funny, my bad at still not being aware of all the lingo (I'm so mired in my history with UA).
    I took LT Gold to mean Lite Gold due to the DEQM promos:D

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you reach annual gold (25,000 miles or points, or 30 segments this year) or lifetime gold (1 million lifetime AA miles)? There are no miles or upgrades for reaching annual gold.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received 8 500 mile upgrades that automatically posted to my account for reaching LT Gold. It was announced that after the rules changes on 12/1 you would now receive 35000 miles. Some people mentioned waiting to reach LT Gold until 12/1 to get the miles instead of the upgrades.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think you're both talking about the same thing. newbluesea is just saying that it was confirmed by many members and American itself that the conversion you're talking about was an option for 2011 LT GLDs so people shouldn't be waiting. Here is AA's response a few days after the announcement, and you can read further back in that thread to see discussion of people doing so: LINK.

10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha... I stopped reading that thread a while back after probably page 3. If this info was so widely known, I would've expected a dedicated post to this important information.
    I did check the link you listed and I did see where a member mentioned seeing the xfer option on Flyertalk and then others confirming it too.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Typically dedicated posts get created by someone with a question, it just seems no one was curious about it up until now I suppose! :)

MLW20 likes this.
  12. 1711

1711 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no reason not to wait to exceed the threshold. Pass 1M, then call to get this turned into 35K miles.

If you really want your 8- 500 mile upgrades, you can later cash in your 35K miles (eg. in 2012). Calling now gives you the option, plus will count towards your 2nd million, in case that has any value to you. I called and they made the change.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what he said he did. ;)

MLW20 likes this.
  14. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    = 0.7 cents for mile. Who wouldn't make this conversion?