AA Prior Day Stand By?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jason, Jan 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife is on a DFW-SFO-DFW mile run, returning this evening. We have another round trip booked for tomorrow morning, but now she's just rather fly it overnight tonight and get it over with. With Platinum status, she gets free same day stand by, but has anyone had experience if it could apply to leaving the night before instead of the next morning. I figured she might as well as at the Admiral's Club and see what they say, but wanted to see if anyone here had any knowledge on the subject. Thanks!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've heard a variety of stories over the years on this subject. Everything from "absolutely no problem" to "I had to pay a $150 change fee to get this done".

sobore likes this.
  3. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David, you're a wealth of information as always... It's good to know it's at least possible. Do you agree the Admiral's Club would be the best chance of getting an agent that would make it happen?

4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience they have been the most helpful, and would at least be a good first shot. Gate agents are often very busy trying to get a flight out and have less time (but that could also mean they won't take the time to charge for the switch).

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    With status and a decent AC agent it's probably a done deal. ;) But no guarantees.

6. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a level of status that can get free standby or anybody can get a free change as long as the stand by open up?

7. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same day stand by is free for gold and higher (and those traveling with them). $75 for everyone else.

8. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well no dice... The agent at AC told her there would be a fee. However, she decided not to go ask around at the other AC's since we looked on expertflyer and saw there were only a few seats available on both the flights leaving tonight. Better to get a good nights sleep and back at it tomorrow.

9. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much was the fee?

10. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    She didn't specifically say, just that there would be one. I had assumed $75, but now that I think about it, it may have been the $150 change fee...

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The change fee is the most common one I've heard for this type of issue.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    IF (repeat IF) an agent is willing to put you on the list.

Before I was aware of 'my rights' as an AA Gold, I was told numerous times that I didn't qualify, AA doesn't do that anymore or flat out no they wouldn't put me on the list. My asking was always well before (at least an hour) before departure of the flight I wanted to get on. Now that I know, it will be a different conversation next time.

sobore likes this.