AA Preferred seats as AS MVP

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nurse traveler, Oct 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nurse traveler

nurse traveler Active Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping my first post would be something astute and not so boneheaded but apparently it wasn't in the cards ;). I've been reading this and TOBB for a while now, trying to absorb and the crowd is definitely more friendly here.

As an AS MVP, the website notes "Preferred Seating on Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, and Delta Air Lines." When I try to book preferred seats on AA.com, after entering my AS #, it still wants to charge me. Am I missing something? I tried logging in to AA.com and changing my mileage plan to AS and logging out and just doing it without a log in. Neither way seems to get me around having to pay for a preferred seat. Maybe I just don't understand what AS means by "Preferred Seating" on the other airlines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chrislacey and Jett Rink like this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi nurse traveler and welcome to MilePoint!

Based on this page on AA.com: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/seats.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=preferredseatsfooter5_8 ...it definitely sounds like you should be eligible. My guess is that there's an IT issue of some sort preventing your seat selection online. I would suggest calling AA directly to get the seats you're looking for. The details on eligibility (from the above page) are:

"*AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members, as well as AAirpass® and oneworld® elite customers and Alaska Airlines Top Tiers MVP, Gold and Gold75 customers and their traveling companions on the same reservation."

nurse traveler likes this.
  3. nurse traveler

nurse traveler Active Member

Status Points:
    I wrote to AA.com web services expressing my concern and received the following answer:

Dear nurse traveler,

Thank you for your message to AA.com and for taking the time to inform us of this error.

We have reported this issue to our programmers for further research and correction. We appreciate your patience while we continue to technically fine-tune the website.

We will be glad to pre-reserve your desired seats for you. We can be of more assistance to you if you are able to provide as much of the following information you may have:

* 6 Letter Record Locator
    * Departure & Arrival Cities
    * Travel Dates
    * Flight Number(s) and Airline
    * Full names of Passengers

Your itinerary details will help us expedite our research and eliminates any guesswork.

If you prefer, you may call AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 (24
    hours/daily) for immediate assistance. To access American Airlines
    international numbers, visit: www.aa.com/worldwidephones

We appreciate your visit to AA.com.

So I called the number and they wanted to charge me the $25 booking fee for booking by phone. Once I escalated to a manager, they did not charge me the fee.

chrislacey likes this.
  4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that you eventually got the seat assignments that you were eligible for. It's a shame that you had to escalate the call, but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.