aa platinum travelling coach

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ukaahopeful, Feb 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ukaahopeful

ukaahopeful Active Member

Status Points:
    I am travelling LHR-JFK tomorrow evening on an economy fare. As an AAdvantage Platinum, are there any advantages that I should look out for?

The next day I am travelling JFK-SFO and then back next week SFO-LHR on a codeshare BA flight. Again, any tips?

I think I get a second checked bag free and lounge access, but am new to Platinum, or any elite status for that matter, so any experienced advice would be welcomed!

AUSsie and zpaul like this.
  2. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a PLT, you will receive the following on your LHR-JFK flight:
    • 100% bonus redeemable miles
    • Lounge access (business class oneworld lounges)
    • PriorityAAccess (including London Heathrow PriorityAAccess check-in at Zone B)
    • Priority baggage delivery
    • You may check (2) bags (within size and weight limits) free of charge
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/elite-benefits-chart.jsp

Regarding the BA codeshare, I'll leave others to alert you of specific benefits. However, since BA is part of oneworld, there are certain benefits that are bestowed upon you:
    http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits/

zpaul likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can pre-select your seat on BA for free using your AA PNR through BA.com's Manage My Booking feature.

Note that T3 at LHR will feature 3 choices of lounge: BA, CX, and AA. I'd advise you spend your time in the BA or CX lounges and skip AA's AC offering. Most prefer BA's lounge, but I do like the food on offer at the CX lounge. But, to be honest, I've never experienced either lounge's business class offering, only the F portions since I'm EXP.

andrewhyde, rwoman and zpaul like this.
  4. ukaahopeful

ukaahopeful Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for these timely tips. Smoothed my London leg nicely.

Onward now.

I have done this a few times where I get a late flight to JFK then 'stroll' into Times Square for a beer or two before getting back for an early connection to, in this case, SFO. It's fun, if a little hard on the jet lag!

zpaul likes this.
  5. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the showers in the lounges - they make long trips muuuuch more pleasant.

rwoman likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This.

Even domestically, this benefit is often overlooked. I had a red-eye last night LAX-ORD-STL that got in to STL at 7:30, I had to present at a conference at 8:30. The shower/change/shave at the AC in LAX at 10:30 PM followed by a nap on the plane (I was asleep during taxi-out) made all the difference in the world.

7. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    But AC/shower access isn't a platinum or even exec plat benefit traveling domestically, right? Or has something changed?

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, not domestically... but the OP was traveling internationally. I was just echoing the oft-overlooked benefit of club showers in general.

9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    David, are there any OW benefits to better seats on BA code shares?

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Same as what you'd expect on AA. Exit rows, etc.

No free upgrades to World Traveller + if that's what you're asking. :)

11. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I have call in to BA to get the benefits? I can't select exit row on their website. I knew I wouldn't get World Traveler, lol.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't have to. I've always picked my exit row seats on BA.com without an issue.

malikguy likes this.
  13. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't showing up, but I called BA and you are right, I have access to better seats. It's just that Exit row seats aren't unblocked until 10 days before departure.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I put myself in BA exit row seats a month ago for flights in May and June. ;)

15. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weird, maybe they changed policy? Would there be a difference between OW Sapphire and Emerald?

16. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting indeed. Was this in World Traveller (standard Y main cabin) or Euro Traveller? I've only ever been able to book exit rows on Euro Traveller as a PLT. So next time I'm in World Traveller, I should call 10 days prior to see if there are any exit rows available?

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    World Traveller. LHR-JNB-LHR in May/June was the last time I did it. All on BA.com, no issues, no 10 day window. But I'm OW Emerald.

I believe OW Sapphire only gets advanced seat selection w/o access to exit rows on BA. LINK.

progapanda likes this.
  18. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, that would explain it. Thanks!

But malikguy, were you suggesting that you were - as an AA Plat - in fact able to get exit rows in WT by calling?

In any case, it's a fair (since they don't offer it to their own mid-tier elites either) but somewhat disappointing BA policy to withhold WT exit row seating for OW Sapphires. And a pretty big reason behind why I will continue to not consider BA for any long-haul Y travel beyond LHR.