AA Platinum challenge help?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by woodbox, May 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. woodbox

woodbox New Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,
    I recently got the AA Platinum challenge similar to:

travel.usatoday-com/alliance/flights/boardingarea/post/2012/02/Live-from-a-Lounge---Targeted-Earn-AA-Platinum-or-Executive-Platinum-by-signing-up-via-HVCAA/623457/1

But so far didn’t fly at all in the last months with AA, I did few international segment with United EWR – TLV since they flow direct and I was with a toddler. Anyway to maintain the platinum status I have to fly 10,000 or to maintain EXP I have to fly 25,000 base miles between FEB to 31/MAY.
    I do plan to fly from NYC to LAX this month (till 31/May)
    Anyway got few questions if anyone can help?

1- What are base miles?
    2- I understand that if I fly I get double miles? (So my trip to LA will be around 10,000 miles)
    3- Can I buy miles instead of flying? (Since AA has a 30% on buying miles it’s a good deal)
    4- Should I plan last minute MR – if it’s possible at all?
    Thanks

marcwint55 and daninstl like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Base miles are actual flight miles without any bonuses. A one-way NYC-LAX would be around 2,400-2,500 miles and a round trip double that, a long way away from 10,000 or 25,000 miles you need.

If you have Platinum (50K) or EXP (100K) status at the time of flight, you would get 100% bonus miles. These are not base miles and don't count towards anything.

You cannot purchase miles to count towards elite status.

As to whether you should plan something last minute, really depends what your long term plan is to fly AA. Those 100% bonus miles are worth some money but you're going to have to fly AA to accrue them. No sense spending a lot of money the next 13 days if your long-term plan is not to fly AA.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. woodbox

woodbox New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply, very knowledgeable, now i can consider the right options :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Unless you need miles to top off an account for an award, do not buy miles as they are expensive. There are some cheap mileage runs to China and South America that can get y ou the EXP if you desire it. It totally depends on what you plan to do as far as flying goes next year. If you plan on flying a great deal it is well worth the expenditure and the time for the mileage runs. If you do not, save your time and money.

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bought miles do not count anyways...