AA orders two more 777-300ER and converts one 777-200ER order to 777-300ER

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tommy777, Aug 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2012/08/american-to-order-a-couple-of-more-planes.html

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Was just about to post this....

Great news. Hope they fly them to some new map dot points.

jbcarioca and aptraveler like this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can't believe I beat you. That's quite the accomplishment ;)

I hope the new dots are in Europe.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm the acting division chief at work today so I've been distracted. If I'm gonna lose the posting speed race, I'm happy it's to you. ;)

I'll have to part ways with you on the last point though. I'm pulling for Asia.

jbcarioca, Aktchi and tommy777 like this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a basic (and probably dumb) question....what is the major difference between the two?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean specification wise (size, distance, etc?) or the plane interior?

If you want the specs, the different variants of the 777 can be viewed here: LINK.

Ultimately most people are probably most excited about the new cabins that AA will be introducing on the 773. Info on that can be found here: LINK.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny...on AA's inflight teaser, they call these "the new 777-300," extolling that they will be the first domestic carrier to fly them.

They should have added in the video's preamble, "Bringing you state of the art 1998 technology, we are pleased to announce..."

The plane had its first delivery in 1998, with CX as the operator.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. mickey1341

mickey1341 Active Member

Status Points:
    AF was the Launch customer for the 777W and the first delivery was In 2004 CX got their first 300-ER in 2007

DestinationDavid and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...that 3-4-3 layout in the back is going to be awesome! ;)

I do find it entertaining that AA is playing up how new the 77W is as a type.

NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn it, another plane to add to my "to do" list. (the 300 version)And I thought photography was an expensive hobby. :))

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some major differences that are only partly seen in the technical data. Basically the -300ER is the only current production aircraft that can replace B744 on a reasonable basis, even though max passengers are lower. With very high freight capacity, typical passenger capacity of 365-400, and >7900NM range it is almost an unbeatable combination. The stellar results after AF launched the model resulted in more and more orders, still continuing. It has been so successful that is alreafy the best-selling 777 variant. EK uses them on many routes and has 54 in service now, and will have 153 when all their orders arrive.

When AMR first ordered them there were comments on this board and many others that they'd add more as they could, just as they are doing. IMHO these are not the last ones; there will be more additions in coming months. We'll certainly see this aircraft deployed for more South America, Asia and Europe routes. We'll see some serious capacity growth in long, thick routes such as JFK-PEK and probably more South America connections to Asia too, GRU-LAX-NRT/PEK is highly likely. For the usual European destinations I'd speculate they'll refurbish the 47 B777-200ER they have so from a passenger standpoint we'll all be happy, and they'll be using the -300ER where their capabilities will be optimized.

Notwithstanding the earlier releases about the -300ER being the only one to be left with international FC, the three -class transcend A321 shows AA will not actually eliminate int'l FC on all of the -200ER.

This is really a smart decision for AMR, IMHO.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would they not? Anybody who's flown the EK B77-300ER suites is enthused about the possibilities. I don't expect AA to match those, but their pictures for these and the A321 both seem quite exciting to me!

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you missed the "3-4-3 layout in the back" part. I am sure it will be fine upfront. I also think people in the back will survive, but it's going to be close quarters.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed I did.:cool::D I am 100% with gleff on the "back of the bus". I am not included to ride there, except on LOT and others with ATR's that have business class in the last row.:p
    Sorry, I should not be so crass. I do sympathize with people who must endure LH economy.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought we had reached a mutual agreement previously that I was allowed to ignore the Y cabin on this new plane!? ;)

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, you are entitled to do that on all aircraft of any age.:D

DestinationDavid likes this.
  17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, but less awesome than the 2-4-2 UA has in their dorm "business class". ;)

It is still the most efficient aircraft in its class and will be for years to come.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the only aircraft in it's class and will be until the A350-1000 comes. Even then the match will not be exact because the 777-300ER is slightly larger with slightly shorter range and less fuel economy. There is plenty of room for both, as the order books are showing. Let us not forget that Airbus took a two year delay to develop the A350-1000 to actually beat the 777-300ER, and soon after it enters in service we'll probably be seeing a B777X and other improvements in the existing models.

Isn't competition wonderful! The B777 and the A330 are the two aircraft that made long-range twin engine operations a rarity and saved lots of wasted fuel in the process, but the B777 in the form of the 300ER is proving to be transformational, IMO.

John777 likes this.