AA or US challenge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by viguera, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering doing one of these, although I'm not sure on which.

I'm based out of the NYC area so finding flights to fulfill the requirements shouldn't be an issue, although it seems like it would be quicker with one or two terribly long AA flights.

However, since US grants you status up front, it almost makes sense to sign up for that challenge and fly AA metal, crediting US.

Any thoughts?

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AA challenge is based on points rather than miles, so fare class matters. AA challenges are cheaper. For AA, if you sign up before June 15th, the status only lasts 'til Feb 2015, and the cost is $100 or $180 (Gold/Platinum). If you sign up June 16th or later, status lasts 'til Feb 2016 but costs more: $140/240.

US promises a minimum mileage on shuttle flights (relevant out of NY); AA seems not to offer that unless you already have status.

viguera likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you're going 1K to EXP, may very well be offered at no cost at all.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my plan is to start probably in July to maximize the reward, going an extra year rather than just sign up for the remaining half of 2014.

As far as the shuttle goes, I think it would be entirely too time consuming. Even with mileage minimums, I'd be looking at 20 roundtrips... 15 if I do segments for Platinum. At that rate, I think it's probably a better proposition to go long... Two trips to HNL and I'm just about there, and it would cost less than 15 roundtrips to DC (and be more enjoyable). :)