AA or United?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jparker, Dec 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been one of Delta's strongest supporters over the years and continue to be very pleased with their product. However, I'm going to rollover 125k MQM's into 2013, so will have Diamond status through 2014. With my Delta AMEX cards, I will earn another 100k in MQM's on spend between 2013 and 2014, so will no problem with hitting Diamond again in 2015 (pending changes to program).

So, here is the question, which airline to try for a status match/challenge and start using. United and AA are about the same for me as to availability, price, etc. I'm hesitant to move to United when I read about the problems they are having and when I see long time loyalists, like Tommy, moving their business elsewhere.

With AA, it looks like a merger with US Air might happen and I do not like the US Air experience as it is today. Does a merger with make AA less attractive? I would be interested in your opinion on which way I should go since I fly over a 100 segments a year and really want a good experience if I'm going to switch from Delta.

Jason

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you based and where do you go? How far out do you buy tickets?

What elite status will you get matched up to? (I know many companies have special match arrangements that aren't public).

Do you use wifi in the air? good luck on UA.

Do you like to drink single malt scotch? good luck with the two minis on AA.

With AA Plat, you need stickers for upgrades. With UA Gold they are complimentary - but impossible to achieve on sticker upgrades. 1K and EXP are different stories altogether.

US has improved a lot since '08. But it's transcon product (flights 3.5 hours or longer) is on par with the rest of the domestics (excluding the JFK-SFO/LAX market). It's the mid-con where most other carriers serve a substantial snack that US under performs. Internationally, US has a very strong product compared to the US majors. Reverse herringbone direct aisle access flat seats (same layout as CX and the one AA is adding) on the US A330s (workhorse). 767s (mostly to leisure markets) are likely on their way out and the 757s are not as nice as the sCO 757s but inline with the AA ones. Long story short - don't think US is going to make AA much worse through a merger.

jparker likes this.
  3. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. AA, United, or USAir could all serve me as I'm in LEX and almost always connect, just a matter of whether it is in ATL/DTW or ORD or CLT, etc. United has offered me a challenge to 1k with 35k miles in 90 days. I am waiting to hear from AA. I think I would prefer to try AA over United.

4. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in a comparable predicament, so I thought I'd chime in on your thread. I am based in NY, I just hit gold on Delta, and would liike to take a challenge to either AA or United....

any thoughts?

jparker likes this.
  5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    katstarr.. how convenient is EWR for you? If it's a pain - i would stick with AA.

AA at LGA has a very nice Admiral's Club. Flying UA, i'd take the new Air Canada landside lounge over the UA landside lounge. Both have nice facilities at JFK.

Also - where do you fly to? and in what fares? Stickers as a mid-tier on AA can get expensive, but your chances of upgrading are better. JFK-SFO/LAX on UA you need Regional certs to upgrade.

jparker likes this.
  6. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR is a pain. I much prefer LGA or JFK. I've been flying AA more recently, but mainly on BA Avios awards.

7. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a United guy, I've been questioning the value proposition myself. I would however also ask what kind've flying you do. If you do a lot of international flying, in the higher fare classes (so you can use a GPU), I'd say United is the one to go with, they are only slightly behind US when it comes to their lay flat business product. That will of course change as AA upgrades their business product. The other side is, how you use your miles, and where you prefer to go. UA is fairly strong across the board, but weakest in SA, American is strongest in SA, but its partners for much of Asia (and they've got some great ones, aka CX).

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope there is some sort of answer, I have been bouncing between these two airlines for years.
    The best answer for anyone ORD based is both.

9. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been 1K @ UA for several years- primarily fly to points west of Home @ ORD, no international. Rec'd a challenge to ExPlat from AA & only 2 segments in, but generally pleased so far- found UA to be extremely crowded at premier levels post-merger.

jparker likes this.
  10. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spoke with AA yesterday as I've heard nothing back from them. They said they are getting such a volume of requests for status match/challenge that they are about 3 weeks backlogged.