AA or JAL?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mickey1341, Feb 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mickey1341

mickey1341 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to book J class ticket LAX-NRT, any recommendation which has better service/ seats JAL 773 or AA772
    Thanks

alohastephen likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Seats have differences but are rather similar. Service? Hands down to JAL.

3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say JAL! As we all know service on AA can be a hit or miss. AA seats are a few years old and don't go completely flat. I personally have flown JAL only a handful of times, but the experience was always good.

alohastephen likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To be fair the JL seat is also angled, not lie flat. I agree about the service though!

alohastephen likes this.
  5. mickey1341

mickey1341 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the recommendation.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....I don't know. I found JAL and AA business class to be very, very similiar, service-wise -- AA seems to have stepped it up, particularly to Asia. I tipped my hat to JAL due to 2 things:

a) they fly from SFO direct to Tokyo (albeit, HND, not NRT (no beef curry!!! :()
    b) they tidy up the bathrooms in between guests -- AA does not do this

b) can make quite a difference when there's a full cabin. I often find MYSELF tidying up the lavs on AA international flights sometimes!!

Aktchi and alohastephen like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They try to trick you by calling it a "flat" seat. Flat, but angled!

I actually found theirs more uncomfortable than AA's for sleeping, too.

alohastephen likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm obviously a big fan of AA, there's no question about that, but I don't find JL and AA service comparable most of the time. AA service is generally friendly and gets the job done, but JL has almost always been a step above. JL attendants check in on you, patrol the cabin with water/offers for additional drinks, etc. Most AA J flights I've had consisted of friendly service, a bottle of water, and lights out. I also enjoy JL food quality much more than AA.

The most consistent complaints I've heard about JL service is that it's impersonal, there are no pre-departure beverages, and the cabin temperature is kept too high. Also the language barrier since many feel JL FAs don't always have the best grasp of English, but this is less of an issue for me since I speak some Japanese.

There have been a few AA J flights where I thought the service was on par with JL, but those stand out in my mind. JL's good service is more the rule than the exception. My 2 cents, change provided if needed. :D

Aktchi, alohastephen and sobore like this.
  9. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will be on the JL 001 flight next week. Will update then. This will be my longest flight w JL. Last one was nrt-bkk and back.

TheBeerHunter and alohastephen like this.
  10. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I've been lucky. My AA crews to Asia have always been superb. I expected JAL to be better, but didn't find them to be, service-wise.

And you're definitely right on the heat problem on JAL planes!!

11. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I flew JL1/2 in J (AA 50% off offer) for a vacation to Japan over New Years and have to report that the service was stellar in both directions. The seat does feel old, but I was able to sleep pretty well in it. I ordered a gluten free meal and was served fish both ways (which I'm not a huge fan of...but at least it was GF!) My partner had the steak on the way over and it looked to be medium/medium-rare and he said it tasted pretty good for airplane food. Not sure if catering is an issue for you or not.

FAs were very proactive (on both flights) and offered refills frequently. Not having water (or G&T in my case) was never an issue. They even went out of their way to make sure we knew about the mid-flight menu and that it was available. Certainly the level of service on both flights was well above UAs standard (by far) ... although I can't comment on AA. Hope that helps a little!

TheBeerHunter and alohastephen like this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    JL. Four-star vs. three-star in terms of service, primarily due to the food quality and staffing levels. Decent IFE, and reasonably comfortable seats. Caveat? Check their website to see which seat is on your flight. Those from SFO (JL 1/2) are different from other airports, so if you're flying LAX, make sure you know what seats are installed on the aircraft.

alohastephen likes this.
  13. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    yea the seats feel old because they ARE old. They are the previous generation of seats not the latest NEO

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  14. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, as soon as a have the SWU, if i book rev. ticket, i will go with AA (using the SWU). Award ticket will be on JL( if i run out of SWU). I think it 's ok like that. Anyone else think otherwise? Thanks