AA Offers up to 3X EQP for Premium Tickets Now to end of the Year

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYCUA1K, Apr 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Click image to go to offer:

upload_2015-4-7_21-43-33.png

Note that this is separate from their equally lucrative promo that offers tons of extra RDMs for purchasing premium cabin tickets, which also runs until 12/31/15.

FriendlySkies and Newscience like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all the extra bonus mile promotions in the last year, I sense a devaluation coming soon. :(

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be a prelude to the transitioning of AA to the revenue-based system since the earning of RDMs and EQPs in both promos is revenue-based but without penalizing anyone. Folks who purchase premium tickets are simply awarded more RDMs and EQPs, while the rest of the people earn these according to the legacy rules. It could be that after the end of the promos on 12/31/15, the revenue-based RDM and EQP earning scheme would simply be maintained, while the legacy earning scheme would be quietly retired. Bait and switch? I really hope not!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think American is softening people up this year and sometime in September they will announce a program similar to that of Delta and United. Meanwhile, they will keep AAdvantage elites happy with these lucrative promotions of bonus AA miles and EQPs.

satman40 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It the internet great?.... it allows any or everybody to indulge in wild speculation to their hearts content (even the UAL fans:))

There has never ever been any of these sort of promos allowing bonuses of EQPs before in the history of AA right?:rolleyes:

Most people here do understand the AA concept of EQP (which has existed for a long time) right?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    satman40, FriendlySkies and jbcarioca like this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've said this before, but it's really ironic that UA tried to force me into higher priced tickets with their new revenue system. AA didn't try to force me, yet I am now happily buying mostly premium cabin tickets. Why? AA actually gives me something more than a bigger seat and slightly better (sometimes on UA) food.

When I am confirmed in a premium cabin, I know that I can check 4 bags up to 70 pounds each. To me, that's huge. UA's charges for excess and overweight baggage are excessive, and they don't throw them in with a premium cabin ticket - even for a 1K. As a U.S. citizen residing in Latin America, that 4th bag means not running out of things between trips that I would normally have if I still lived in Texas. It's a big improvement to my quality of life, but it's not worth what UA charged for that same bag.

There are other benefits, of course, including the bonuses discussed here, not worrying about the upgrade lottery when I'm traveling tired, etc. AA is a long way from perfect, and they can irritate me just as much as UA did, but the seats are more comfortable, the food is better and I've had one RT ticket on RJ equipment since November - only because I was flying to SUX.

If they keep the current system - with or without the EQP bonuses - they will be wise. That's a big incentive for FFers who fill planes at all budget levels to find a way to make AA work for them. My crystal ball is defective, so I won't predict, but they got me back, and I'm not going anywhere until and unless they allow the grass to get more green somewhere else.

timfrost, jbcarioca and newbluesea like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am rooting for AA to keep the legacy FF system as the anti-revenue-based champion so that we can really have a fight between the two concepts and see which would prevail. If AA jumps on the r-.b.s bandwagon, it will be over for the legacy system, as the entire world would inevitably convert.

BTW, if this isn't the ideal medium for speculating about the travel industry, I am not sure which would be...

8. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm rooting for them too. I see the posts of my peers who fly UA and DL and what they have to keep track of (fare basis, RPU, GPU, etc) to make the best of the system. Compared to AA it makes my head tired.

For me, as a long time EXP it's easy. I buy a flight. I used to request an upgrade but now that's automatic. I fly usually (93%) in F. What more could I ask for? I truly hope the system them have works for them. But the AA system really works for me.

When they toss me a bone like these latest promos does it get my attention? Absolutely. I'm flying to PEK and PVG over the summer. It was worth it to me to pay for the premium cabin to take advantage of these promos. AA gets the win. They got more of my travel $. What's more is they got two of my travel companions who usually fly UA to fly with me based in the lower price and the promos.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else flown a paid premium ticket since 4/7 and had trouble getting the extra EQP to post? I did my first eligible trip this week and no dice. Just got the 1.5 EQP. Ticket was on AA code/metal and purchased on 4/8. Haven't contacted them yet, but T&C says it will show as soon as flight posts.

satman40 likes this.
  10. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew a P fare F ticket and the bonus posted the next day.

FriendlySkies and satman40 like this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they get it right. I booked a MR for the entire Memorial Day weekend, all in A, D, I and P fares, plus tacked on four July segments for work. Amazingly affordable when grouped like that. Result: About 25,000 points.

Somehow I got a bit behind this year, but this will fix that! :D

FriendlySkies and satman40 like this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see it now, PEK in the next 10 days 67,5 FC one way, I will not see this fare the rest of the year..

Sure glad I have lifetime stat. One needs to be flexible and plan ahead..

Counsellor likes this.
  13. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't. I see this as a way for AA to reward their top pax. Many have wondered if the fact that AA has had an ability to qualify by revenue for many years will allow AAdvantage to stay as a mileage based program.. We'll see what happens next year.

jbcarioca and KenInEscazu like this.
  14. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If AA goes the "dollar amount" qualify strategy next year, hope it is just an EQP analysis. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. easterly

easterly Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the hope that AA sticks to the mileage based system, and so does my CFO. On a spend-based system, enployees arranging their own travel are incentivized to buy higher priced fares tied to their personal FF accounts (can't fight city hall, boss, look at how they are gouging us on these tickets). My CFO and my COO can catch someone flying too many segments to get from A to B, but pricing swings so wildly and so often that there is little hope of catching spend-boosters angling for more points-per-seat.

jbcarioca and flyforawg like this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if these bonus EQPs count towards an AA challenge? :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I advocate a revenue-based system precisely because such systems provide rewards based on the closest analogue to profit that can be administered practically. Moving to an interim fare-class-based incremental bonus does get them closer. The only way to argue rationally for a strict mileage-based system is to imagine that we could expect rewards based on BIS hours. if pricing worked that way we might expect rewards to work that way. pricing, however, does not. I prefer to see a long term sustainable model for all concerned.

Let's think, where were rewards most generous: PanAm, TWA...