AA Offers Should Include Non Americans

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Criss, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have always wondered why AA offers are primarily reserved for Americans alone when there are countless AA Frequent Flyers (very loyal AA ones too) from around the world who are disqualified just because of not being an American. I am part of a group of my colleagues who have crossed the million miles (one of my colleagues has over 7 million miles while another has over four million miles) and it seems very unfair that when these offers are sent to us the rules debars us from participation just because we are NOT an American. This rule should be changed to give some regard and respect to other (or loyal) Frequent flyers.
    It is very discouraging when an electronic ad arrives in your email and you begin to joyfully fill out the info, but as you read the rules you discover..oops there we go again...."..Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and where prohibited. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia . Is it that we good enough to bring income to AA, be used for surveys, but not good enough to participate in offers. This is VERY unfair.

I would really appreciate and explanation

Regards

2. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - this has really pi**ed me off as well. However, I believe that the issue is one of taxation. Apparently in the US, the supplier of a prize where a lottery or similar is involved is liable for taxation. AA limits the participation in these lotteries to residents of countries where they have checked out the taxation position.

Don't know where you are from, Criss, but I don't believe that there is any such issue in the UK so I can't really understand why UK citizens are not eligible. (Mind you, with my luck, it's probably a non-issue!)

I'm sure if I've got this wrong that somebody more knowledgeable will put the record straight.

All in all, the Aadvantage 30 offers have been a complete non-event for me: a mix of a few extra miles with US based shopping partners and raffles that I'm not eligible for. Maybe something worthwhile will come up before the end of the month.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're correct but it's more than just taxation. The legal requirements for each country in terms of disclosure, taxation, etc are different. The terms and conditions for every promotion AA does are lengthy as it is. If they started opening the promos up to other countries they'd need to produce T&C for each country that met each one's legal requirements, not to mention employ/hire someone who understood the legal requirements. So a free giveaway of some miles suddenly requires hiring lawyers, billing of hours, etc.

I don't believe AA is going out of its way to exclude anyone. These types of promotions are designed to encourage their customer base to buy tickets and build loyalty. If it made business sense to open it up to other countries they would, but there are costs associated with doing so that make it unattractive.

At least that's what I see! :)

4. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No .. just second nature ... what about those offers for Double Elite Qualifying Miles etc that were specifically for people living in New York City,etc (where the address had to be within a particular region of the USA - not for those flying through the airport)... not very inclusive - instead very EXclusive

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Completely different things. Those DEQM offers were designed to promote specific flying behaviors around a new route, low sales, or against new competition. It makes sense to geographically target an area. AA has offered quite a few "open to all" DEQMs in the last four years to be honest, so the "second nature" comment seems premature to me.

So sure, as a non-resident you're excluded from getting DEQM but IMHO you're excluded for a good reason.