AA Offering Open Status Challenges Including EXP

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Aug 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  2. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    shocking.

as a current AA EXP i have flown 59k EQMs so far this year. i still need to fly 41k to requalify.

if i had zero status with AA i would only need 30k EQMs to qualify.

AA is actively punishing me for having status and being loyal to the airline.

oh, its 4 months not 3. even worse.

txmoney, MSYgirl, Aktchi and 5 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Dislike."

4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Seriously???

By the end of this year, unless something changes, I will have flown 64,261 EQMs and accumulated 84,438 EQPs* over 24 segments, and I will, again, qualify for Platinum. A minimum of 29,451 EQMs and 43,470 EQPs* will be flown during the time of this promotion (a MR for 549 EQMs wouldn't be out of the question for EXP!), but once again, I am being excluded for my long-time loyalty and going out of my way to TRY to qualify for EXP, a status I have never enjoyed on AA, although I have come within 7,000 EQPs various years.

I get trying to create loyalty and increase business, but this is a slap in the face for those of us who go out of our way to pay and do it the hard way every year and still don't make it to the elusive Executive Platinum status. We didn't even have something like this for the OWMD, which seems like it would have been a much more appropriate offer (a significantly limited yet strategic target audience) over "every AAdvantage member without status," which is just a way to get high-mileage fliers from every other program into AAdvantage, rather than just United, like last year.

AA, I usually love you, but this hurts. You really don't love me back. :(

*I know EQPs don't matter in the promo, but they do in regular qualification which is why I'm including them.

Aktchi and Tenmoc like this.
  5. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm missing something here. The website sez: "Reach . . . status and keep it through Feb. 28, 2015." That's more then one year, not 4 months, right? Anyway, does that mean a JFK/EZE round trip (ballpark 11,000 miles) gets me gold, and almost Platinum? Or is there a catch-22 that I'm overlooking?

zpaul and Tenmoc like this.
  6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The qualification period is four months, so flying 3k a month will yield someone without AA status (like me) with PLT through February 2015. That's far less flying than ordinarily required per month, punitive to existing AA elites (like Golds seeking PLT), and at a time of the year when airfares tend to be a bit lower. I will go from no AA status -- top tier on AS -- to mid-tier on AA with essentially no effort.

zpaul likes this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. That's pretty much it. As long as you don't currently have any status with AA, you can score.

Unfortunately I am still gold and will have to pay for a challenge to get to platinum with my flying this year instead of doing the same flying and just getting it.

I'm not going to abandon AA for this. But this is a kick in the balls by American.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
  9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you book the right Y fare, JFK-EZE = 5282 EQM, so r/t is, effectively, 10,564 EQMs. Add any potential positioning flights, or even just a few quick hops here and there for 1,436 EQMs and you're at my level (which, incidentally, includes, but is not limited to, three EZE-JFK roundtrips!).

Gaucho likes this.
  10. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously, at this point that's what I think I'll get from AA. This taco had better be super-crunchy and filled with bacon.

11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:

Nor will I. But yeah, the cojones are in pain.

icurhere2, Travelsavant and Tenmoc like this.
  12. jmui

jmui Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's unlikely that I'll requalify for EXP this year. I was bummed but came to terms with it. This is a little salty. That being said, it's from the perspective of a current elite. I would have been super excited if I didn't have status and was just getting into the game. So while I don't necessarily agree with with the strategy, I'm cool with it. People should travel more anyways.

...triple EQM would have been better though haha

13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:

I think this is less for those "just getting into the game" (although it definitely applies) and is much more AA's version of an open call status match offer to EVERY frequent flier of EVERY other program who has the ability to either a) shift already scheduled travel to AA or, 2) purchase up to 30,000 EQM-qualifying tickets in the short- to middle-term, or both. The GLD and PLT levels are easily within reach of a leisure traveler who's dedicated to getting some status, and the EXP level is quite attainable for a road warrior who knows the ins and outs of the programs. This being an open challenge to anyone who doesn't have status could result in a huge number of people taking advantage of it, and then we get into the standard discussion of the potential of making hard-earned benefits harder to use, etc.

This is all in the conditional, of course. "Could," "might," etc. The only non-conditional part of it is how it makes long-time loyal elites feel.

+ 1!!!

14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see this as additional cash in pocket for AA. Anyone who tries to meet this challenge brings cash to AA in the short term and hopefully more cash once they have status. Sure those of you with status need to worry about more competition but it also strengthens your airline’s balance sheet, which is a good thing.

Also I thought that there already was some sort of promotion already going on for those of you with AA status that gives you extra things if you cross certain thresholds?

15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true. Very little will be already purchased/planned AA travel. But i do wish they'd say "we'll waive your challenge fee" to me when I call next week.

zpaul likes this.
  16. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First they institute No soft landing then they offer open challenge like above, left hand not knowing what right hand is doing at AMR?

17. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:

Absolutely true, and understanding the business behind the offer from a rational point of view is the reason I would never say that this is a deal-breaker for my relationship with AA. But from the long-lost perspective of an actual "loyalty" program (which really have become "additional revenue-generating" programs, I know, but I'm a traditionalist in that if you're going to call it something that's what it should be), seeing an opportunity for someone to get MORE benefits and status for over 60% LESS effort that my attempt (failed, at that) stings.

There is the elite "milestone" program, which is great and I'm glad it's there, but it's not the same as a full year of elite status benefits. From anecdotal evidence from friends and on this board and others, the EXP dedicated customer service line is in and of itself a reason to shoot for that level.

iolaire likes this.
  18. jmui

jmui Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, and I was speaking more abstractly about encouraging travel. Certainly it's against my interest to support something that could potential dilute elite ranks. However I know my opinion would be completely different if I was on the other side of the coin. I have some friends who are still gun shy about hobby traveling and I'm happy to see some of them so eager to jump on this opportunity.

zpaul likes this.
  19. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    One last thought and then I'll let some other people get a post in edgewise...

I can only hope, knowing that AA does care about its elites, that there is a DEQM/DEQP or similar promotion in the works for us this year. I just can't believe that we'd be shut out completely. So, rose-colored glasses are on!

Travelsavant likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There's a difference between attracting quality customers and having a garage sale. This is a garage sale if it holds up as an open offer without a targeted audience. I'm not buying the "hey, this is good for you in the long run" line. I've been very supportive of other offers with DEQM/TEQM and even status matching in the past. This is something that really rubs me the wrong way in its approach.

21. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm for sure another with zero status -- my FF days are long-since over (and I think I'm glad about that ;)). But it looks like my one upcoming JFK/EZE and EZE/MIA/JFK in First this December will get me the gold, and almost the platinum. Dumb luck, I guess.

22. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is just wrong. How can AA even though in such times open the challenge up to EXP status while us loyal customer need to requalify the difficult way. I am dissapointed with this as this will basically just explode again the EXP basket after all those DEQM in the last few years. It would have been less of a slap on the face if they had this only limited to PLT level or have some monetary requirement linked to the challenge like what US Airways offers.
    Bad move AA..

Cheers!

zpaul likes this.
  23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, last year I took the 1K status match with AA and earned 32K EQMs within the time period necessary to maintain status and earn my eVIPs (wasn't among the fortunate group who actually got these up front, so while they enjoyed their MRs in C, I was back there in coach!) and ended the year with 102K EQMs. This year I am at 81K EQMs and will requalify for 2014 ExecPlat after returning from the NordicDo in September...so AA has definitely benefited from my jump from UA and from the number of NAmerican flights I've been on with open F seats, it appears I haven't taken anyone's upgrade.

Since this is for currently non-elite AA members, it is not as if the floodgates are going to open and swamp the upper tiers for next year.

Yes, I do have my own concerns about status matches/fast tracks to elite. But AA has provided incentives for its longtime elites with those 40K, 75K, 125K and 150K bonuses. I'm not aware that any other carrier is offering such a loyalty enhancement, certainly not UA. So even someone who has made it mid-way to ExecPlat but can't hit 100K, will still get choices including more e500s and an eVIP. Of course, AA is the lone holdout among NAmerican programs without a 75K tier, and I get the sense from reading the above posts that this is the root of the complaints about this promo. UA introduced at 75K tier when it merged with CO. AC just introduced it this year. And I suspect AA will too if the merger with US goes through.

zpaul likes this.
  24. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about signing for a new ff acct and doing this promo under that one?

25. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would violate AA's rules; and I think discussing something that violates an airline's rules is also against the T&C of MilePoint.

That said, there are a variety of ways AA can figure out if you have two accounts, and they have a lot of people dedicated to watch for it.