AA now requiring at least 4 AA/US metal flown segments for elite status

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ballardFlyer, Sep 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    First I had seen of this but the new version of AA iPhone app has a note at bottom of the elite status graphs that says "Note: at least 4 AA/US segments are required for elite status".

Not a big deal for me and most folks but it appears to be an unannounced change.

And it follows BA who had same rule.

SomeDay, Sammich, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  2. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    and several other airlines who have same requirement, in fact, I thought AA already had this in place.

SomeDay, Sammich and Newscience like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA definitely has it but I think Delta does not.

Travelsavant, SomeDay and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has not been a requirement for US elite status in the past, but now it's all "the new AA". :(

SomeDay, WilliamQ and Sammich like this.
  5. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    How could you think this is in any way remarkable. Someone who cannot manage 4 sectors on a carrier could hardly be described as a frequent flier.

Travelsavant and newbluesea like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure they can, just on partner airlines.

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo! I have done this for many years, but no more on "the new AA".

8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely thought this was always required. Ah wells.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of people here did that, especially when you could do partners for 100% accrual and/or traveling international on a premium fare. You could do one good r/t and have elite status.

10. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you want elite status on an airline you never fly?

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following crossed my mind. Good award redemption rates / opportunity, lifetime status, lounge access etc.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mainly because MP is a not a "frequent flyer" board but primarily " frequent point accumulation by any means except flying board" :)

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are a number of Germans who were chasing UA status for a while. I'm guessing many still do. The GPUs could be used on LH metal and it was easier to reach a status tier which permitted lounge access, the accrual rates were better as were redemption options and there was a lifetime option. Even when mostly flying Lufthansa it made sense to chase status on UA.

I would not be surprised to learn that BA folks were doing the same with AA for similar reasons.

14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, Seth! ;)

And I think that Milepoint conversations are often significantly enhanced by contributions from members living outside of the US!

15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. We try to contribute since we (I) had gained so much from here since joining.

16. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you only get Elite Status by flying. A lot. Let's say you live in the UK or Germany. You could conceivably get elite status on a US carrier by only flying their metal 4x per year. But that means you spend a lot of time on other alliance carriers to earn the status. I don't understand the 'why'. Why wouldn't you just try to get elite status on the home airline?

17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please continue to do so! I've learned a lot from your postings, and from those of so many other Milepointers! ;)

Travelsavant, WilliamQ and jbcarioca like this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because it might require more flights or more expensive flights to get to the same tier status or comparable benefits. Or the points might not be worth as much based on award rules. To earn SEN status (Star Gold) on LH is 100k miles for a resident of Germany; it is only 50k in the UA program and only 20k in the A3 program. That's a huge spread.

If you're flying mostly in Europe where there's no such thing as comp upgrades (at least not formally) then having elite status in the "home" program may not be as useful. Similarly, a lot of people flying a mix of DL and AA credit all that to AS to combine the earning into a single program and get elite status there for some benefits on DL/AA metal.

I even know a few people who earn BA status based in the USA because there are some relatively easy tier point runs available and the value of that status is useful to them.

19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great summary. In fact, you just might be making someone reading this to reconsider their mileage strategy.

20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually it does not really require flying a lot. My spouse has about six or eight trips per year but still maintains AF FB Platinum and AA Gold. How? One trip GIG-JNB-GIG produced AF FB Gold, and one GIG-ATL--GIG made that into Platinum. Similarly I fly roughly 20 trips per year but that is enough for AA EXP & CK, DL Diamond plus a couple lesser ones. Same story GIG-SVO RT delivers a large passel of MQM's! Many German businesspeople ahem very long trips and can easily qualify for high UA status but cannot necessarily maintain the name on stingier LH. Similarly my Singaporean and Malaysian colleagues usually prefer USA airline status because of easier qualifications and richer rewards even though they'd go out of their way to avoid flying those airlines whose status they like. Frankly, I fly DL quite rarely and get Diamond status due to, mostly, KL/AF both of which I really like but FB not so much. Still, for some benefits the US carrier status does not work. AF will only give FC upgrades to members of FB, thus my spouse has FB. LH and SQ both rarely, if ever, allow FC to other *A programs than their own for upgrades. So, the US programs will not suit everyone at all. Frankly the big exception IMHO is OW, where AAdvantage is far better than any other OW program especially the BA offering, so many OW loyalists around the world choose AA. AA thus eventually and to formalise a requirement for some minimal use of AA, although IIRC codeshares will qualify, although the wording remains ambiguous.

Travelsavant, Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  21. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA advantage doesn't give complimentary upgrades unless you are EXP

Travelsavant likes this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travelsavant likes this.
  23. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is NOT a new rule. It's been in place since at least before the merger. I flew a lot of AS flights in 2012 when I was living in SEA and still a lowly AA gold and remembered I had to go a little out of my way to ensure that I could keep my status. It was a simple matter of flying SEA-MCO and return via DFW on AA rather than taking AS' nonstop and I was good.

The note in the app might be new as a reminder to people, but this policy has been around for at least 2 years.

However, this still sparked an interesting discussion. It had never occurred to me that people would bank miles only with partner flights as a matter of intention rather than circumstance.

24. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brody scored more points for his comments here than the Cowboys scored all day. Go Redskins. Oh, Houston, we had a problem. Poop.

Newscience likes this.
  25. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. You know how to hurt a Cowboy fan...

Seat6A and Travelsavant like this.