AA not crediting miles for IRROPS - How does this work?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Switch2, Mar 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was sitting in my 3A seat on my way from EWR to ORD when the FA's weren't able to close the doors properly, so after 1 hour on the ground we were told to deplane and the flight cancelled. So i was booked into UA flight from EWR to ORD instead. So who do I ask for the miles? UA goes not a valid ticket, AA says it's UA flight we can't credit. Am I SOL for the miles? oh icing on the cake UA does not get my bags onto to my connecting flight to HKG in ORD.

Newscience likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would call AAdvantage Customer Service and ask for 'Original Routing Credit'. Those magic words should have you credited with the miles for EWR-ORD.

Was able to do this for a ticket to RDU over Thanksgiving week.. MCI-ORD delayed long enough that I would have misconnected, so the EXP desk put me on UA MCI-IAD-RDU.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely claim Original Routing Credit.

And the bags missing the connection in ORD could be on either party. In most cases the arrival carrier drops the bags at a central transfer point and the departing carrier has to collect them from that point and get them on the plane. It can be slow in many scenarios.

Switch2 likes this.
  4. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, in a situation like this, you should get credit on *both* carriers, the "Original Routing Credit" on AA and actual flight credit on UA. I don't understand the "not a valid ticket" comment -- these interline tickets (electronic bookings, usually) are considered valid tickets, since AA would pay UA for your flight.

At least, that is the way it has worked for me numerous times over the last <mutter, mutter> years -- and usually the replacement flight has been considered to be full-fare ("Y") even if the original ticket was deeply-discounted economy.

It sometimes doesn't result in double credit if the airline that actually transported you happens to be in the same alliance as the originally-booked carrier, though. There you tend to get one or the other (although sometimes even then you can get double credit, just not on the same alliance partner).

6. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor, you've had luck getting original routing credit from AA and also getting the miles from UA when you were rebooked? I thought once you claimed credit on one, you were SOL on the other?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So long as the flights are from airlines who are not partners with each other the "double dip" typically works. The ORC comes even though the original ticket wasn't used. And the new ticket on the other carrier can just credit to that carrier or one of its partners. The key is that they aren't directly partners though.

8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the critical part. So I wouldn't try with AA and BA, but I would try with AA and UA. Call AA to get ORC, call UA for the miles flown. In each case, if the first agent is not sympathetic, don't get into any arguments or unnecessary discussion; politely hang up and call again later.

OnlyOne, WilliamQ and Counsellor like this.
  9. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    This may be a dumb thing to ask, but should I call MileagePlus and request the credit or wait the 15 days and submit the request online?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Either way; doesn't really matter. Does your boarding pass from the UA flight have a ticket number on it? You're going to need that.

11. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA credited when i wrote them again using the terminology that was suggested. On the UA boarding pass the eticket is starting with 001 and not 016 so maybe that's why the system on United was giving me errors.?

Aktchi likes this.
  12. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This just means the ticket was issued by AA. What was the flight number shown? You should still be able to get miles on the marketing carrier (UA in your case).