AA (non-BA)Biz Availability to Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Jun 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone see much non-BA AA award space to Europe in July? I just got some spare time off and Im having a heck of a time finding anything on AA metal.

satman40 likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    What class of service? Where are you flying from?

Trying to find awards one month out in the mid of the Summer holiday period is a recipe for frustration
    That said If you are looking for coach there is some scattered inventory to/from LHR (I would expect other destinations to be that much more difficult).
    C class forget it. :)

Newscience, flyforawg and edekba like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is plenty of availability from IAD to CDG in July using AA mile awards. Of course, it would be useful to post departure city information. Nevertheless, if you want to use those AA miles, you can travel to CDG on AA or US carriers.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    A cursory look shows that much of that availability is on BA. OP specified "non-BA". I imagine OP wants to avoid the fuel surcharge gouge...

satman40, flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA search engine shows me (mostly) US and (some) AA metal from IAD to CDG. I used a departure date of July 22, and a return date of July 29. I will be on these same flights in October.

There is plenty of "Economy MileSAAver" and "Economy AAnytime" seating open. Much less (a small amount) of "Business/First MileSAAver" and "First MileSAAver", with full availability for "Business AAnytime" and partial availability for "First AAnytime" fares. All the seats I see are on US and AA flights.

You can also see this with DFW and JFK departures for CDG. The DFW flights appear to all be on AA metal, as do the flights out of JFK. There are also direct flights on AA planes from DFW and JFK to CDG.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where your looking....but for the entire week encompassing your quoted date of July 22, the only MilesAAver awards, NA/CDG being shown on AA are in coach or on BA.
    Sure there are AAnytime awards on AA in J and F but who wants to spend 135k or 165k miles one-way for that trip.. unless its absolutely necessary.:)

I rather suspect you are not looking at the charts as shown, properly.

BTW I also checked EF which matches the above and found no J or F MileSAAver inventory for the 3 days before or after the July 29th return date.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at the AA award charts! :) I just checked and the seats I described are available from DFW, IAD, JFK to CDG on AA/US planes. You will need to use the "Economy AAnytime" to have more of the seat availability populated. So, for example, an "Economy MilesAAver" award on the outbound (30K miles) combined with an "Economy AAnytime" award on the return (65K miles) will use up 95K miles, all on available AA/US flights. That is if you insist on not traveling in business class seating! ;)

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a nutshell.. we agree then. There are no Milesaaver awards other than in Y available on those routes to Europe except on BA, my contention was this part of your original post
    ".. Much less a small amount) of "Business/First MileSAAver" and "First MileSAAver..." of which I am unable to see any at all.

satman40 likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The OP was only concerned with Business class award travel on AA metal to Europe in July, and not on BA. You can do this if you are willing to use 135K miles each way. If not, you can also travel on AA/US in economy seating for 95K miles total. With either method, BA metal is avoided.

Or a business class ticket can be purchased now for July travel on AA for as little as $2400 (JFK-CDW). These same tickets could have been purchased earlier this year for $1700 r/t (with some additional discounts possible, Gary Leff mentioned a way to purchase these tx for as little as $1400, IIRC). But hindsight is always 20-20.

Although it does seem that the OP has left the house! :p

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    satman40 likes this.
  10. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    After you guys started talking I was lurking but then forgot to say thanks for all the help. I did end up sitting in coach because there was no J to be found! Thank you...3 months later...:p

satman40, traveler and Newscience like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with Y, especially if you can find 3 or 4 in a row and lay down,

Newscience likes this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    In July? Peak season? Good luck with that...

Newscience likes this.