AA newbie - how to use upgrades to get business class?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sjbeck2, Oct 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sjbeck2

sjbeck2 New Member

Status Points:
    We will be travelling to Europe next summer. We would love to fly business class. Is there a way to use miles to upgrade to business class from an economy ticket?
    Thanks.

2. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you pay for the economy ticket, then yes, you can upgrade...but it might be worth just accruing enough miles to use for a business class ticket by itself.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  3. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to upgrade from discount economy, it is 50,000 miles plus $700 a ticket. Or you could fly in business RT for 100,000 MileSaver or 200,000 Standard.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Have you purchased your tickets yet? As clscholes notes, you may want to consider a business class award rather than miles to upgrade. Also, consider less dominant AA partners like Finnair who may have better (and potentially cheaper, considering taxes and fees) availability to Europe.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Moving to AA forum. Please follow along there.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might have ben sage advice in former years but as one who had been looking carefully and almost daily for awards or upgradable inventory to Europe next Summer I wouldn't even bother to look on AA there is just about nothing in business awards to FRA, CDG, FCO, MAD, BCN, DUS and even LHR. A few weeks ago there was a few individual seats (forget about getting two) to LHR, FCO and MXP but these have either been snapped up or more possibly removed.
    I suppose if one can stomach the insecurity of wait-listing inventory may (or not) open up real close to your travel dates.

Its by far the worst I have ever seen it.

The irony of it all is despite our belittling of Skypesos DL has a plethora of low level awards compared to AA for Summer 2014.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    flyforawg likes this.
  7. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your upgrade from coach might also fail to clear. Upgrade space more than a few days out is similarly scarce.

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Did you check other OW carriers? I had no trouble finding September availability earlier this spring. I know that's not summer but I'd be surprised that there's literally no availability to anyplace in Europe in J.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually looking for late Sept early Oct 2014 (which has not posted as of now) but I wanted to try and pick up a pattern which although not the 331 days of years past has had a fairly predictable pattern even up to last year.

My intent is to get either two J awards or two C upgrades or a combination of both.

There is some availability of J on IB to MAD and some BA (but I refuse to pay their rapacious YQ) and also on AB but the latter seems to be having continuous luggage problems so I would avoid them if at all possible.( this is intended to be a 18-21- day trip so I will have to check luggage)

Like you said even up to about 2 months I was able see the occasional 2C upgrades and a few scattered days with J awards but currently I dare anyone to find even one J award to many for the entire year of 2014 on some routes.