AA new boarding procedures- what do you think?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gargoyle, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What does everyone here think of AA's new experiment in boarding flights? It seems the FA's hate it.

jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  2. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an EXP, and usually in F, it's not been a big deal. I haven't noticed any longer or shorter times. I have noticed more crowding in the boarding chutes in the gate area (what's the correct word? Gate lice?) and I have had to push through a crowd at LAX to get on board.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Gee, to the union everything that the airline does creates 'complete chaos.' Although I'm rather vexed by the claim that AA has moved up boarding times? :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with gleff. Look, if passengers complain, it's one thing. But the union needs to speak for itself-not other passengers. I read in an article AA says it's improving on-time departure rate by over 10% in some cases. If this is true, I don't see how "chaos" can describe it---the question is though, why does APFA oppose it so vehemently?

jbcarioca, Tenmoc, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as I have to see all the FAs with their pro union lanyards, I truly do not care if they are getting paid or not.

It is like I say to everyone. They chose their job. No one is forcing them to do it.

But complete chaos? No. If it is chaos it is from the FAs having to walk up and down the aisle mid boarding instead of stationing one at the back, one at the front and one in the middle. Instead they often have to walk against traffic.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a GLD, I'm usually boarded before the crowds, but seated in the back where I see the coach boarding. I've been on 4 flights this month, all pretty much full. My observations from MD80 row 20:

Honestly, I didn't realize anything had changed.

With row-based groups, it's generally the elites in the front of the cabin and the rows behind the exit rows that fill first. Then the front half of the cabin. I do usually watch the way the bins fill, and if anything, that's gone smoother than usual on these flights. That's likely due to it being the summer months meaning that bins don't fill with coats and jackets, but maybe the random boarding helps that too. With the whole back of the plane boarding together, the folks toward the end of that group are invariably waiting in the aisle, watching the rear bins fill up while they are adjacent to still-empty bins by rows 10-19. It's common for them to use that space. With random boarding, the rear bins won't fill any faster than the front ones, and (especially if there's less aisle backup) the temptation to grab the front bins is lessened. That means fewer late-boarding front-half pax having to use the rear bins and swim back upstream as boarding finished.

I certainly haven't seen any chaos, complete or otherwise.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, I'm really glad I'm PLT...time to shoot for EXP. Then again, now we have to pay for certain Y seats as elites...:rolleyes:

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    As EXPs, Mrs. Gemac and I are usually at the top of the upgrade list if our upgrades haven't cleared. We can ask the gate agent if First has boarded full, but usually the reply is "Yes", based on checked in full, not boarded full. When First was boarded before EXP, I could count them as they boarded to see if they were really on board. If so, then we would get on when EXPs were called. Now, with EXPs and First being called together, there will often be 20 people boarding and 16 F seats, and we don't really know whether to get on or not. In the grand scheme of things, that's a very small thing and I don't waste time fretting over it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall it's much of a muchness. For the same reasons stated by gemac above, I prefer the old method of boarding, but it's all roughly the same for me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No complaints either way for me.
    I have never had much problem with boarding order anyway. Elites still have some perks, after all.

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not really had a big problem with the new boarding grouping. usually all of my flights i am in first class or i board with the plat ex/plat grouping, so i tend to not have issues. You do see more gate lice across the gate now with people that buy priority access. The one issue i seem to run across @ more airports is the prefered line versus the general boarding. The GA's typically let everyone board under the prefered line and i typically do not get to the gate early and tend to just hope in the red line and board late, and run into the rest of the boarding groupings in line. Would be nice for the GA's to actually use the lines for what they are for.

swag and Tenmoc like this.