AA: Need help to achieve Plat. 4360 needed. DTW/GRR -> ?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by kevinwangjiakan, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kevinwangjiakan

kevinwangjiakan New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and also new to MR. I've asked for help at some other forum but didn't get a good answer, so I found here. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I need 8719 EQMs, or 4360 actual flying miles with double EQMs promo, to achieve AA platinum. I'm close to AZO/GRR/DTW (ORD might be fine too but it's my last choice). I'm on a trip with my girlfriend Dec.8 - Dec.20. I don't think it's cool to spend a day flying myself during the trip, so hopefully I don't have to do that. Please let me know if you can help. I'm looking to spend $600 or less.

P.S. I want the plat status mainly for international upgrades. Please let me know how hard it is for AA Gold member to get award upgrades on flights to China/South Korea/HongKong. If it's not difficult, I might not need this status.

Thanks!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) AA doesnt fly to HKG...
    2) As an AA PLT to upgrade those flights to asia you'll need a lot of 500 miles stickers i think.

3. kevinwangjiakan

Status Points:
    Cathay Pacific flies to HK, and I believe I can use AA miles to redeem their flights.

I'm talking about using miles to upgrade. It's usually 25k + some copay for one way upgrade. stickers are only for domestic upgrade

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    ahh my mistake

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    For miles+copay upgrades, anyone can get them regardless of level - that's based on "A" space on AA metal ONLY.

If your plan is to redeem miles for an economy ticket then buy an upgrade, that won't work.

If your plan is to buy an economy ticket then use miles+copay for an upgrade, that will work, but only on AA flights.

The single biggest reason for PLT status is the change from 25% bonus RDM to 100% bonus RDM. The difference is significant. Everything else is roughly the same, aside from being one boarding group higher than GLD (which is now lumped in with all other Priority Access passengers).

6. kevinwangjiakan

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response!

My plan is to buy an economy ticket and then use miles+copay for an upgrade. So in this case, say both a gold and a plat requested the same upgrade on a plane that has only one space left, whoever requested early will get it? There is no "window" for it like domestic upgrade?

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No window at all. If A space is available, first come first serve. I don't know how any potential wait list works, but I don't believe there is one for copay upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA has only 2 elite tiers:gold and EXP lol:)

malikguy likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And in this case, cash trumps both.

10. kevinwangjiakan

Status Points:
    I guess in this case not really worth a MR then. Thanks everyone!

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're consistently traveling 40k miles a year, you're giving up 30k redeemable miles next year by not making platinum this year. That's a lot of miles usable towards copay upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

12. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mike, speaking of copay upgrades. Do you have some logic into how and when you choose to use stickers for an upgrade (or comp upgrade) vs copay upgrade?

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. kevinwangjiakan

Status Points:
    I know right, but to do this MR I have to either
    1) Fly for a day during the trip, and leave my gf at Orlando or Vegas alone, while it was her birthday trip. Not cool :(.
    2) Fly after Dec 20, from an airport near Western Michigan, thru a stopover to the coast. The cost right now is around $1000 (including taking a train to/back Chicago and possibly a hotel night, GRR is easily over $1000 for the ticket)

I value 30k miles at around $800, so I won't really gain that much by doing this I guess. Unless something cheaper comes out later.

14. kevinwangjiakan

Status Points:
    I believe stickers are only for domestic, while copay is for international, both are the only choice for the flight type.

15. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can actually do a confirmed upgrade on domestic flights. It's $75 + 15K miles.

16. kevinwangjiakan

Status Points:
    Never knew that... I don't think it's actually worth it though, that's like $400+ for one way upgrade.

For me international (8 hr+) business/first classes are way better than coach, while the difference on domestic is not that much. So I try to save all my miles for international upgrade (I fly to Asia a lot, easily 12hr+, huge pain in coach).

malikguy likes this.
  17. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only real benefit is that with stickers, it's standby, but if you really want the domestic upgrade for let's say a transcon, you could do the do the copay if you wanted insure that you are getting the upgrade since it's confirmed.

Definately see your point about saving for International travel. That makes sense!

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't know - I don't earn stickers anymore, and haven't for years. The only time I use them is when my wife is traveling with me.

The only copay upgrade I've ever done was to Hawaii back before I was EXP. It was cheaper than buying up to the next class, and more guaranteed than the sticker upgrades since I got it at time of booking.

malikguy likes this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good analysis - I can't argue the economics of that any differently. You could always try FlightFox and see if anyone there comes up with a cheaper plan.

20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    in between gold and exp is platinum at 50k miles or lifetime platinum at 2 million miles

malikguy likes this.
  21. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol i know i was just joking ...

22. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha, I think he was joking. ;)