AA musical gates at DFW

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Sep 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... so I landed today at DFW at around 0600hs... arrival gate was D30-something...... I have to wonder if AA gets a lighter tab from the airport if they park out in the sticks..... :rolleyes:

I was on a connecting Eagle flight to CRP. My boarding pass said gate B10. Upon arrival, the screens said B29. I go through the immigration ZOO, loooong lines...long wait, then get taken over to secondary customs control because I have 14 bottles of wines (samples, lazy customs folks that chat rather than work).... in any event, I walk to B29.... gate has changed again. B30... go over to B30, grab a fruit smoothie and a cereal bar.... have bfast (refused to eat the AA Steerage Bfast)..... wait for my flight.......... wait.... then, 5 minutes past announced boarding time, I go to desk and ask....

Guess what, flight changed gates AGAIN.... but nobody let us know.... we now have to go to B4......which is on the other side of the friggen terminal..... about 10 pax sitting around with me are NOT HAPPY..... it was quite a hike...

So question... how hard is it to inform gate staff if operations does another gate change..??? Have to wonder why AA is where they are if they cant even seem to get the easy stuff done properly.....

(rant over)

PS: no, I dont expect to get miles for this.... :p

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you be happy to eventually board your flight? ;) :D

marcwint55 and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    That I did......

marcwint55 and ACMM like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precis:
    a) Big airport this DFW
    b) Considering the current scheduling problems I rather suspect there are lots ot gate changes at lots of AA terminals.
    c) Distance between B4 and B30 is really not that far.
    d) Astute and knowledgable flyers know to check the departure display boards regularly especially when
    close to boarding time.
    e) Accurate gate change information and lack thereof is not at all unique to AA ( which the regular pax of other airlines might well tell you)

Food, customs etc etc not really relevant:)

Gaucho and marcwint55 like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But AA doesn't only fly astute and knowledgable flyers (in fact, at the moment they seem to be doing everything to drive those away). So really I think the OP has a fair point when it comes to the lack of announcements.

6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds like the normal treatment in Miami. They must have switched airport crews.

7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately for me, I have rode the DFW gate change carousel more times than I care to think about...

It used to irritate me, but now I am so used to it that I just hop on down to then next gate...even when it isn't in the same terminal...

I do however disagree with newbluesea...B30 to B4 is quite a long way...

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is where TripIt or other gate change alerts come in very, very handy. I just wish they'd stop reading connections over the overhead as we're landing... when I can't wear my headphones and drown it out. They're going to change between then and when the next flight takes off anyway...

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    well... Changi is a big arse airport also and SQ manages to keep its gate operations in perfect order.... are Singaporeans smarter than Americans...???? what am I missing....???

not that far... I was OK with it, but tell the group of physically challenged folks that had to board with me, I sprinted over there no problem, but our departure was delayed a good 10-15 minutes because the AA geniuses didnt even think to get an electric cart over to pick up the older and other folks that needed assistance....

Im neither astute nor knowledgable.... Im just a spoof juice peddling bozo from a banana republic... we dont even have flat screen TVs where I come from (Im surprised I got the State Department to issue me a valid US VIsa) :rolleyes:

Food is not relevant....? heck, I cant live without food.... to me that is relevance.

Customs....? when I travel to a foreign country, I try to learn about the customs of my hosts, I was brought up that way. Again, very relevant to me.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok... so maybe I should write to AA and ask for some miles..... or what...?

:rolleyes:

:p

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering the shape of D, and the "connecting corners," there really isn't an "out in the boonies" gate at D. You completely lost me from that point on...

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Here is what you may be missing:) ( trying my best to ignore your sarcasm)
    AA probably has ten times the number of flights at DFW which are in turn affected by the vagrancies of the diverse weather in North America than SQ

2) Actually you could have avoided the walk if you thought it was too far by taking the escalators up
    to the Skylink and trammed closer to the new gate (perhaps old people cant read the signs :) )

With regard to food I continue to persume we all need food I still am hard pressed to find the relevance however to that subject and Customs with regard to your stated topic "musical chairs at DFW":)

13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:

1) excuses excuses..... :rolleyes:
    2) I like to walk, Im scared of trains
    3) food.... yes, eat, but not too much, else you cant walk to gaits and have to take electric cars

14. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Under normal times this situation might be somewhat noteworthy or worth addressing with AA (barely, at that.) With what's going on now-- not in the least.

Gaucho likes this.
  15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.... I was only playing with the other poster that doesnt seem to understand where Im coming from....

16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asian airlines and terminals can have the same issues. I was on a TG flight to RGN and from the F lounge instructed to go to the appointed gate. After a walk of 15-minutes and almost a kilometre I get to that gate and there's a note that the flight is now going from a gate I walked past 10-minutes earlier...3/4 of a kilometre back! (Jeez sure I had a flat screen TV in my hotel room in BA in August...and saw them on sale at the electronics shops along Florida St.)