AA MileSaver Award(Sea-Fra) not available

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by euromannn, Jul 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    HI,
    I was looking at option flying AA on award travel. First I reviewed miles and taxes. Found that flying AA direct not on partners like BA result in significant taxes.

There are approximately 11 cities AA flies into that result in only $5-$7.50 tax in addition to 20K milesaver award mileage.

However, nothing is available flying Seattle-Frankfurt for 20K award just 60K for coach which I checked from Oct 2013-May 2014..

Anyone know why? AA told me that 20k award is eligible not unsure why no availability.

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone else has already booked the seats?

For sure CALL and have them check all partners including Iberia and Airberlin. Not all results are online.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

euromannn likes this.
  3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you ask for parter airlines this changes the fees and possibly award miles required. I will call again but strange that almost one year out NO 20k awards available Sea-Fra....smells fishy!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked from the gateways to FRA, ignoring the domestic segments? It may be that the long-haul part is available but the domestic isn't requiring an extra connection or other options which the website doesn't show naturally.

Also, you've discovered that AA doesn't have many TATL destinations on their own metal. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

euromannn likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fishy because they're only offering standard awards on an international flight almost a year out? Get an EF subscription, track the award and book it when and if revops makes it available. Saver awards are incentives to fill award seats people aren't willing to shell out standard award miles for. Perhaps history shows people are willing to spend standard miles for this award.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at SEA-DUS last week of October. I found flights with Alaska/AA/Air Berlin or AA/BA with a shorter LHR-DUS segment on BA at 20K on two of four days I checked. Also look at SEA-TXL (Berlin Tegel) as Air Berlin has a presence there and BA also flies in there from LHR (did that earlier this year on a paid ticket).

If you really need to get to FRA you can probably get a 29 euro advance purchase rail ticket from either Dusseldorf or Berlin.

euromannn likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

AA.com's award search has a radial button that allows you to narrow the award search to ONLY AA metal. If you click that button and do the search, it becomes much easier. For example I did a search for an outbound from SEA-FRA in January and see that there are in fact dates where AA award space is available. It's not plentiful at all, but using the radial button allows you to see what's available much more quickly. See below:

Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 11.15.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 11.15.26 PM.png

AirBerlin flights are viewable on AA.com. ;) :)

euromannn, MX and flyforawg like this.
  8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the problem as I had narrowed down the search to AA flight not Air Berlin and other carriers.
    I appreciate the idea but flying AIrt Berlin means being routed through extra stops and higher taxes versus flying just AA.

Set the option for AA and see NOTHING is available for 7 months during low season for 20k miles. AA has tricked us!

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks......but when I give AA flight an option for best deal over 7 months nothing is available.

AA DOES NOT allow Frankfurt 20k option! A joke!

10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is an EF subscription?
    What is revops?

ALthough you say saver awards are incentives to fill the award seats almost all other 10 cities AA flies fdirect to Europe have availability except Frankfurt.
    yes, very fishy as I spent 30 minutes with AA on phone and got no where why.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You didn't read what I posted. That screen shot is all AA flights, not AirBerlin flights.

SEA-DFW
    DFW-FRA

All on AA. 20K miles.

So yes, AA does allow 20K to FRA. ;)

euromannn, MX and Wandering Aramean like this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see some limited SAAver availability on SEA-FRA on AA as well in January 2013, as Destination David does.

Doesn't seem like a joke/ripoff to me.

(FWIW, I redeemed SAAver Coach x2 to Europe this year through AS- SEA-JFK-LHR//ZRH-JFK-SEA.)

euromannn, MX and flyforawg like this.
  13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    In coach for 20k?
    SEA-JFK-LHR is my prefered routing but that availability is Air Berlin not AA.
    Not huge but taxes are higher on Air Berlin vs AA.

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. In coach, for 20K each way. I booked this in May for a December 25 outbound, January 8 return. I used both AS and AA miles (AS can only book into SAAver, but books it at the same rate as AA does).

ZRH, AMS, MAD or BRU likely have the lowest taxes if you are trying to avoid these- though of course you will be running into the cost of getting TO those cities... ;)

I know it's not business class, but 2 coach seats for 80K miles r/t is not too horrible.

euromannn likes this.