AA miles vs. SWA points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by DMT, Feb 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    What's better? On Memorial Day weekend: 75,000 AA miles round trip for 2 people (1st class return), 3.5 hours each way from DFW to EWR, with a 10% refund with the citi card; or 16,500 SWA points round trip for 2 people (with the companion pass), 5.25 hours each way from Love Field to EWR?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  2. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Save you AAmiles for a trip overseas. Use Southwest points and check everyday to see if the points needed change. (They usually do) That seems like a lot of points. Cancel SW trip and rebook for new point. You will get the points refunded. Is the trip soon or is it at least four weeks out?

travelpye likes this.
  3. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    Labor Day weekend, so over 4 weeks out.

4. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    SW schedule doesn't even go out past August 8 yet. How did you get 16,500 SWA points quote?

But, "On March 3, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through October 31, 2014." per SW website.

As cmgilbride said, go with SW & do something bigger with the AA miles.

free67spirit likes this.
  5. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, should have been "Memorial Day weekend". Did this to my wife too :rolleyes:...

free67spirit likes this.
  6. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely SW.

free67spirit likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is hard to beat the CP, and $2.50 for the rider, and it last for almost 2 years..

I keep AA for International, at least one way, and United for the flip.

free67spirit and TUMD like this.
  8. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here (next trip is UA to Europe and AA back with free one-way to HNL). Try to use SW with CP for all domestic flights and positioning for international if needed.

free67spirit and satman40 like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    DMT, you are getting loads of great advice here! As a SWA frequent flyer, I agree that the best tact is to book those flights way out in advance. I have a tendency to not use my SWA points for these booked-far-in-advance flights, and to save those points for last-minute flights, that now have become quite pricey (about twice as much as they used to cost) on the SWA website, as compared to say, 4-6 months ago.

cmgilbride's advice to check the SWA website often to see if the points requirement has changed and then to rebook your flight is also good advice. I've cancelled and rebooked when SWA has a sale, and it makes perfect sense that if a flight's monetary price has decreased, then so has it's "point price". Good luck! Newscience

free67spirit and satman40 like this.
  10. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a closer correlation to how many WN points are needed to book a trip and the price, as compared with AA, right? If the price is higher in $ it is usually higher in points, as opposed to AA (and probably other carriers) where a one-way SAAver ticket is 12.5k even the day before when the price is $800? I don't really have specific personal experience with this as I only fly WN when Amtrak makes us for various reasons, but I finally used all those points I had accumulated from those last-minute fares the company has to buy to book my mother a trip from SJC-SAN earlier this year and the points needed changed from day to day until she was ready for me to book it for her.

Just wondering what the actual value is in this case since folks seem to be giving good advice in this thread. :)

Newscience and free67spirit like this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    IF you plan Int'l travel, then save the AA miles. WN will only get you to the Caribbean. If you have the companion pass, only Avios can compete with the pricing for short-haul domestic flights. 75k AA is a LOT of miles for a 3.5 hr flight when those miles cost a lot more to acquire than WN points.

free67spirit and Newscience like this.
  12. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my first post on milepoint. Your input is very appreciated.